ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race car pad choice

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Ok so we run the Clio in CTCRC Pre 05, the regs say you have to keep the original caliper and original disc dimensions but pads and disc design are free (providing they're one piece)

We've been using Pagid RS14s which were recommended to me by the guys at Bremsen Technik who used to supply those particular pads for the 1*2 Cup racers. They're just not working at all, every race we have to remove and deglaze them or they do not work at all.

Now I suspect we aren't working them hard enough, I'd be amazed if we are pushing the car as much as seasoned champions were back in the day! Either that or they braked a lot less than us.

Either way, we need an alternative.

Speaking to one of the other competitors, he's using a Mintex race pad - F4R - He swears by them so they're an option

We've also been recommended PFC PFC013s by one of the current Clio Cup teams but I think they might be too good for our car if that makes sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience? I can't really afford to keep trying different pads until I find something suitable so need a little bit of a pointer on this occasion!

Clio 182
Carbon Lorraine RC6 are awesome to be honest, just with new brembo hc discs....not a hint of fade after a hard 20 minutes on track and still plenty of bite next time out.
I only drive Castle Combe though and don't actually race, but I'm only a second a lap off of the top ktec cup series guys when they were there this year so not driving steady!
What circuits are you racing at and what fluid are you using?
I bit the bullet and swapped over to the £50 a litre castrol srf react fluid this year and along with the rc6 pads has made a big difference. Used to always bleed the brakes after each track day before and they would feel wooden till de glazed.

WRX
Something not right there mate. I used them in my black one, when it was still in daily use and track days and they were perfect all of the time. I see various posts about pads and the only ones, that never have any adverse comments are Pagid.

Daft question - you have bedded the Pagids in as per their recommended procedure ??
We used to to run Pagid RS14's on the Mk1 Focus RS which was running AP 6 pots - we had no issues at all (unlike the previous Ferodo pads)
In the Clio (4 pot Brembo) we've been running Pagid RS29's again with no issues. Having said that because our supplier didn't have any on the shelf we are now trying Carbotech XP10 - should be interesting.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Well... I printed the bed in procedure and stuck it to the steering wheel for when the Mrs took the car to Snetterton. I'm assuming she did it correctly and she says she has!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I rate and use the Ferodo Racing DS1.11 , could be an option for you if wanting to try new pads out

As mentioned, proper bedding and fitting (making sure they're not wedged in too tight) is important with these type of pads

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ignore the clio cup pads as they run a 4pot caliper with bells and rotors so not a fair comparison.
Personally I love Rc6 but would happily use Rc8 or DS1.11 as well.

Pagid Blues work best with the brembo max disc in my experience, however, what you are experiencing sounds strange. I would get another pair of Brembo HC discs and bed them in again.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
I'm using Brembo Xtra discs (same material as Max but drilled not grooved) I do have some Max discs and another set of Pagid pads in the garage, I'm reluctant to try then just in case they're no better, it'd be £200 odd down the drain if they're not.

I ran them for about 3 years, without issue.
However I understand your reluctance.
Speak to Bremsen again, as I think they would suggest plain or grooved discs, however I would be surprised if the difference were profound.
/y0z

172 Cup
+1 for CL RC6 and Brembo HC discs! I've hammered several UK tracks for >30min stints and they've been 100% reliable. Also done a few Nurburgring track days and the brakes have always still been there after the long flat sections, which is nice.

I use Brembo Max grooved discs and pad life is fine; they also make a cool growling noise when you brake. :grin:

DS1.11 also looks like a good pad, but I've never tried them personally. A friend has though and highly recommends them.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
She went for Performance Friction PF08s in the end, swapped to Brembo Max discs too, they're a lot better than the Pagid so will be sticking with them as the price is pretty good too!

Clio 172
I use CL RC6 on front and CL RC5+ on the rear on my 182.
The chap who built my Clio uses the CL RC8 in his Mini Challenge R53.