ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race with Nova

Just in from having a race with a nova of unknown power, white j reg, 3 people in it, didnt look like gsi or anything special, not even colour coded but jesus it blew me away and i mean left me standing, finally caught up at around 115mph but to be honest i think he had slowed down at that point, whilst i know i have only a 1.4 16 i have to say was quite in shock at getting left that far behind

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

if he literally blew you away with 3 folk in his car then my guess would also be a 2.0l conversion.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

115mph? You mad? Mate, imagine if you drove past a Plain clothes copper? Instant ban? You wanna go through that just for the sake of beating a what.....oh a nova.......Fair play mate! :D

LOL cant polish a a turd but its a very quick turd, there are a couple of a 2l turbo converted novas near me, i never bother racing them cuz im worried bits might fall off and hit my car :p

Easy now! I seem to have read somewhere that Renault build quality isnt the best either!

Might be opening a can of worms here, but why the prejudice all the time? (I drive both).

Quote: Originally posted by IanH on 03 May 2003

Easy now! I seem to have read somewhere that Renault build quality isnt the best either!

Might be opening a can of worms here, but why the prejudice all the time? (I drive both).
when was the last nova built? when was mine built? im guessing even with dubious french build quality i have a few years before it starts falling apart. bearing in mind i had a gtturbo before my 172 and it was a h plate and french and i never had a problem with it id say my clio should hold up pretty well

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 03 May 2003

LOL cant polish a a turd but its a very quick turd, there are a couple of a 2l turbo converted novas near me, i never bother racing them cuz im worried bits might fall off and hit my car :p
well, the hope would be that you would be IN FRONT of it and not behind, otherwise your letting the side down! ;)

Saying that bits might fall off and hit my car isnt exactly cricket. Build quality issues appear to be one of the more common threads on here. Ive had a couple, shared with a number of other forum users and my 172 has only done 480 miles. I would be mad to say that the Nova is perfict, but Ive had mine for 7 years now, and Ive never had any problems with the seat bases working loose (as I have with the 172).

Probably a good idea to stay away from those turbos. (on the straights at least).

Oh, and about the turd polishing - a 3d, a 2nd and 5 1sts in national concours competitions, and a magazine feature may be the proof that you need that it is possible if you try.

just personal experience with mates who have novas thats all, not saying yours is a shed but alot are (my gtturbo was mint but everyone classes them as quick but unreliable because there are so many poorly looked after examples about ) ive had to work on enough of my mates ones, and cavaliers to know that im just not a fan of vauxhall. just personal choice i guess

Elise/VX220/R26

A 1.3 SR would thrash most 1.4 clios I rtekon ( I should know I used to have one ) They weigh a lot less and adding something as simple as an exhaust and fiter really quickens them up. If he had a set of twin webbers on (quite a popular nova mod) he would definately eat a 1.4

silver valver/hybrid

my mate had a 1.3 sr (ashley exhaust, k&n airfilter) and i had a standard clio rt, in a race 1st gear equal, second gear id pull half a car lenghth then after that id start to leave him behind! Saying that though i raced a 1.4 sr on throttle bodies in my 16v, fookin ell, he suprised me, he nearly kept up!

its when u boot it off the lights against a nova and you hear "vroooom TISH" your really in the sh*t lol 2l turbo time

silver valver/hybrid

there is a guy who has a pink (!) nova with a 2.1 engine in. totally stripped out, it just has one bucket seat bolted straight to the floor. very tidy motor and it shifts!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by IanH on 04 May 2003

and a magazine feature may be the proof that you need that it is possible if you try.
Max Poo, fast turd ?

Revels Mum & Sister

I used to Own a Nova SR and GTE before my Clio. I drove the little 1.4 until it blew up!!!

Then I got my GTE. Twin 40s, cam, headwork, exhaust, Only had 2 seats in it!! And that went like f**k. It was tidy as well! Had the rears cut out and new ones welded in. When it left me sold it for £2000 not bad for a G reg!!

Ok I do agree a lot of Nova drivers if not most are c***s, but not everyone is!! Just like Clios get the Impression that they are shopping trolleys or girls cars!! Just a sterotype! Less fell of my Nova than EVER has on my Clio, and a couple of mates Clios!

BUT I DO LOVE MY CLIO!!!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1052057415__NOVA3.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1052057415__NOVA3.jpg

my old TURD used to polish up quite well.

the nova couldve bin a 1.3sr mine (pic) was rr at 80bhp wiv exhaust and airfilter and used to be able to beat keep up wiv alot of suposedly quicker cars

my mates gsi was rr at 115bhp wiv a few small engine mods and can keep up wiv my other mates clio 16v!novas are light and nippy

BUT they do rust badly and i did have a few probs wiv it but ive had more wiv my valver.i do miss the novas revving that thing used to rev round to past the end of the gauge over 8,000rpm!!

Toureg vW Transporte

they do rust, but so does everything, i had a 1.3 sr and it was loads faster than the clio 1.4rt i had after. i dont mind the look of novas too much. know that there are a lot of tits driving them though.

yeah but any car that you have to swap the engine in is cheating in my book,

ANY car can be made fast with a different engine, i know of a citroen 2cv with a honda blackbird motorbike engine midmounted, rear sprocket drive, 165bhp, stripped out weighing about 500kgs!!!!!! would whoop most things,

im sure if some did a turbo conversion on a 172 it would make things fairer, and to be honest, MOST 2.0 novas specially the turbos just dont handle, some do but thats with extensive and expensive suspension

_KDF - Total Vauxhall.

Not lairy enough for Max Poo or Fast Turd - No 20" rims, flip paint, or 8" tailpipe on mine.

My mates was at donny show

Met blue 2.0 16v turbo with NOS (Cream leather seats)

You might of seen it parked next to my other mates car the bomber bug with the R1 engine (orange 3 wheeler with Ken Urwin motorcycles painted on back)

That car made just short of 400 bhp on the rr road with nos turned on

Well fast leaves my mates 2WD saphire cosworth which has 350bhp standing

Funny enough bought the car 5 years ago for £30 spent £22K on it and it is only worth £10,000 well nice though

Ask Craggy he knows him swap my clio anyday of the week for it