ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radar and Laser detectors to be banned

Taken from Autocar 7th Dec 04 issue, but have just noticed it:

......below 35mph in a 30mph zone will qualify for just 2 points and a $40 fine, but those caught above 45mph in a 30 limit will get 6 points and a £100 penalty....

.........Radar and laser based speed camera detectors will also be banned, and road side breath tests will become submissable as evidence.

So does this mean the Road Angel, origin etc will also be banned? I know they use GPS but have radar/laser detectors also bulit in?

[Edited by cliodriver on 29 January 2005 at 8:11pm]

Clio 182

I think at the time this news story happened, they reported it would take at least a year before the new law could be bought in though.

Ford Fiesta

blackspot have confirmed to me in writing that it will not affect the road angels as they are gps based, and the laser reciever "can be" turned off.

172 Cup

Not this again......

Its not even been put forward for legislation yet and people are already saying they will be banned. Granted they probably will be "one day" but it wont be for a while.

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 30 January 2005

blackspot have confirmed to me in writing that it will not affect the road angels as they are gps based, and the laser reciever "can be" turned off.
how do you turn the laser off ??, and do you mean ra2

BMW 320d Sport

Bottom line is it will eventually happen. But theyve been saying it will for years now, and nothings been done. This may be because of the huge numbers of people with radar and laser detectors who might be a little upset if their hundreds of pounds worth of hardware is suddenly made illegal.

There are a lot of issues surrounding it, and GPS systems will never be able to be outlawed.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 30 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 30 January 2005

how do you turn the laser off ??, and do you mean ra2

bill11, you dont need any patch,

just go into Road angel 2 menu and select laser off, easy as that.

Dont do it though, thats just daft!

Ford Fiesta

no it wont, as long as you say if you are stopped laser is not on.

Cant see this been enforceable anyways.

radar/laser based, all that will happned is that teh RA and 2 wont work for the mobile cameras, on the whole they are GPS based units anyways

Ford Fiesta

as if blackspot are going to send you a patch that permanantly disabled aser recpetion. They know what we use them for, if they will get round it by saying it is up to the customer to disable it in the menu.

Customer keeps laser on, no one the wiser everyone remains happy...

BMW 320d Sport

Exactly. Im looking into getting a Target laser transponder for mine, only to open my garage door when I get home you understand, because an active laser jammer would be interfering with an officer in his duty;). Luckily, if it picks up a laser signal and thinks its its garage door counterpart, it will only reply to it for 5 seconds before switching off, therefore if I get stopped for having a laser jammer, Ill quite legitimately say its for my garage door.

There are loopholes around everything if you look hard enough.

So who is gonna pay me for buying my speed detector if it becomes illegal.

One minute they are illegal and the next they arent?

Hardly fair on the consumer who has paid between £100-£500 on something that is legal to use and then suddenly not

tbh..if they make it illegal i will still use mine and f**k the police