ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RAID Newbie, Help Setting Up

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Okay, after having a Barracuda fail on me i've just got round to a fresh install, atm:

Okay, I have finally got around to softing this computer out (Max Payne 3 the catalyst)

Currently set up as below:

Primary : WD Caviar 1TB - OS + Applications
Secondary: Segate Barracude 80GB - Page File
Secondary: Maxtor 300GB
Secondary: Maxtor 300GB

I have just done afresh install of the OS and copied my files from the two Maxtors to a Temp Folder on the Caviar.

I have wiped the Maxtors and gone into the BIOS to activate RAID, set up RAID0 in the RAID Controller screen on the two Maxtors and viola, Windows wont boot and restarts.

Thought perhaps I was missing the Windows software side of this so I have turned off the RAID in BIOS, booted into Windows, downloaded the SATA stuff from : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3897#dl for my board and it wont install because I don't meet the minimum requirements?!?

What am I doing wrong? I not trying to RAID the drive that the OS is on, so whats the problem!

RAID 0 is a massive PITA. I've seen epic failures due to the smallest of issues, resulting in loss of data. With the speed of some SSDs these days, RAID 0 is a waste of time. IMO only use RAID for redundancy and epic sized volumes. Relying on it for speed of OS is pointless in 2012.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has the RAID0 volume jumped up the Hard Drive priority list?

If you go into the Boot Order section of BIOS and locate the Hard Drive as an option - there's a good chance that the RAID0 volume is top of the list - and not the Caviar anymore. Western Digital drives usually begin with WDC as a model number - just make sure that's at the top of the Hard Drive list.

D.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Well, after being told by numerous people not to RAID 0, I have left them as separate Drives, I need the space so RAID 1 would just leave me with less space.

On a seperate issue, Windows is telling me my bottle neck is my new 1TB drive, scoring me only 5.9 when the rest of the system is about 7.8.

Its a SATA 6GBs borad and drive, anyway I can check its running at that speed?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I may be wrong with this next comment, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I'm sure mechanical drives couldn't saturate the SATA2 bus so it wont really give any extra on SATA3 ? I always saw it as a bit of a marketing gimmick. 5.9 sounds about right for a solo mechanical HDD in my experience

p.s I wouldn't read too much into windows Index rating, it's good as a ball park but is a bit rough with it's ratings sometimes.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Last edited: