ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rainsports -v- Winter tyres (Miata owners)

Listerine & Poledo
Well, it's getting high time I prepped Listerine for another winter.
As such, I don't really want to run a set of Eagle F1's. The Yokohamas from last year were awful and as much as these are better in every way, I don't think they'll be the best move for winter survival.

So, I've got my Enkei 15s sat there, needing fresh rubber. Given that we get all of 1 week of actual snow every 2 years, I'm thinking a shortlist of

Uniroyal Rainsports (lets face it, most of the winter weather will comprise of rain)
Nankang Snow Viva (proper winter tyres, but cheap enoguh to not be annoying if I burn them out on the dry february roads)
Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip (Because Goodyear)
or, f**k it

Thoughts from the Mazda / other-lightweight-rear-drive-car-as-a-daily-driver set please

Swift Sport
Only contribution I can make is that I bought cheap no-name winter tyres once for my Civic and they were still fantastic.

Listerine & Poledo
Ling Long Drift Heroes Collection 115/80/15

Also you don't live in 'Murica. It's an MX-5. You should be fined scene points for that.
If I posted in Nutz, I would actually expect a response along the lines of "Stretch R888 y0!"
And my use of 'merican must mean I'm on negative scene-points, which will make the MX5OC happy....a post in there wont even get a response for 6 months as they all go into hibernation as they dust off the Rover 416

Only contribution I can make is that I bought cheap no-name winter tyres once for my Civic and they were still fantastic.

Thanks, that's good to know. Autoexpress reviews say similar "even a s**t cheap winter is 9000000% better than any non-winter tyre.. IN THE SNOW"

thing is, we get almost no snow....just ice. I know that the softer winter compound helps there, but I didn't know if Rainsports or similar tyres with less land-to-sea would be as good for the constant miserable drizzle.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Firstly, it's August, and your prepping for winter already. What is wrong with you.

Secondly, I hate the rainsports I have on mine, but that's probably because I'm used to stiff sidewalls rather than floppy.

Thirdly, save money and don't buy winters, just learn some epic drift skillz y0! to keep yourself out of trouble.

Listerine & Poledo
Firstly, it's August, and your prepping for winter already. What is wrong with you.

Secondly, I hate the rainsports I have on mine, but that's probably because I'm used to stiff sidewalls rather than floppy.

Thirdly, save money and don't buy winters, just learn some epic drift skillz y0! to keep yourself out of trouble.
1) Look out of the window, not exactly pea ksummer any more :(
2) Nice to know, cheers fella
3) Get back to Nutz and take your Hello Kitty tow-eye dangly with you

What's your budget? I have some 195/50/15 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 i no longer have use/space for.

OO! They look fancy. But you are actually many miles away :(

Renault Clio 172
Id be buying proper winter tyres for the mx5 mate, there designed to be used in colder weathers compared to a "summer tyre" or even an allrounder such as the rainsports. They will be better throughout the colder months even if it doesn't snow.

Listerine & Poledo
Cheers chap, that's all very true.
Given I have "summer" tyres on seperate wheels it was more a decision if full-winter is really necessary.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Winter tyres are better in the rain than summer/normal tyres.

I ran decent winters on my scoob until I sold it in April and you wouldn't have known they were on it.

Winters deal with low temps better. They won't melt the first time you take a corner and its more than 10C outside.

JFDI.

Renault Clio 172
I survived a winter on kumho v70 hard compound on my mr2 but it wasn't fun having to take corners slower than a bus, live and learn i guess

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I somehow have two sets of winter wheels and tires for an mx5 one set 15 comp mo5's and one set normal 14" 5 alloys can check what brand tyres if interested?

Listerine & Poledo
Cheers chap, but I already have wheels (the Mazda Enkei 5-spokes as per Icon 2 & Arizona). They just need fresh coats of rubber.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I run the Rainsports on my daily Ibiza and IMO they're frigging amazing, they are still classed as a summer tyre tho.
I don't use the MX5 much during winter tho, what with all the salt and their tendency to rot like an old apple.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Going to have to get under mine this weekend and remove some surface rot thats started to appear on the chassis rails and bottom of the rear arches :confused::confused:

At least if I catch it now I might avoid worse rot next year.

Listerine & Poledo
Twin-skin I'm afraid chap. Sand that rust back all you like, but it'll be back IN FORCE the next year.
I made a similar mistake with my arches and sills. 12 months later...oh hai brown and bubbles!

Chassis rails, yep, save them, but bodywork, may as well leave until it becomes worth putting in new metal.

330i. E30 Touring.
I rocked Hankook Ice Bears on my old 106d all year round.

Wicked tyres.

Icey/snowy hill. Range Rover couldn't get up. 106 could.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I've used Falken hs439 eurowinter on my 250 for the last couple of years and they still look like new, they are not the best in snow (from reviews) but good in our sort of winter.
They are worth the money if you have the spare set of wheels.