ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rally speck front Subframe

Clio 220 lpg
Yesterday and today I'm making our subframe strong enough to take the beating that stage rallying gives.
The first time I realised that I needed to do this was 4 yrs ago when rallying at Weeton camp near Blackpool, we hit a curb lightly and straight away we kinked the front subframe easy this put us out of the event. So we made it stronger and slightly wider, it has lasted uptill now allowing us to be agresive on events, but its time to replace with a new one that is straighter and standard size so that we can use Clio cup uniball bottom ball jionts, which hopefully will sort our snaping standard ball jiont problem.
Today I have turned the subframe upside down and removed the plate of the bottom by drilling the spot welds out and then with a hammer and chisel, removed the thin skin leaving the inside exposed. I then got some 40mm box section steel that we have put inside along next to where the whish bone fasten on. I also picked up some 2mm galve steel which will get welded back on were the original skinwas on.
Hopfully get some pics up for you to look at on monday if interested

Clio 220 lpg
The nice thing is that it is all galve but they are really made out of paper thin steel. but it will be very strong by tomorrow afternoon.
I've also done the rear axle as well, but its away geting powder coated.

alien green rs133
How did i know???? :D

18189064a10444396694o.jpg

18189064a10444396746o.jpg

RSC 182 Cup
While you've the subframe out could you please check if the rear most wishbone mount hole on each side is a larger diameter than the other three holes? :)

Are you going to weld the box section directly to the wishbone mounts somehow? Or is just having it inside that section going to improve it enough?

alien green rs133
While you've the subframe out could you please check if the rear most wishbone mount hole on each side is a larger diameter than the other three holes? :)

Are you going to weld the box section directly to the wishbone mounts somehow? Or is just having it inside that section going to improve it enough?

yes one hole is slightly bigger, renault design them this way :clown:

and having it inside, it wont move ;)

RSC 182 Cup
yes one hole is slightly bigger, renault design them this way :clown:

and having it inside, it wont move ;)

Thanks for the info re the hole. Not many people seem to know that it's supposed to be bigger- even my local dealer... (long story!)

I realise it won't move inside I just thought the ideal method would be to have the "ears" the wishbones mount onto welded onto the stronger part? (I was amazed how flimsy the ears themselves are when checking mine out for wear a while back.).

Clio 220 lpg
yeah just thought theres a valuable weight saving..
If you thought that was heavy we just made a 12mm sump guard:S
Anyway its all going on tomorrow and I'll take some pics of that and my new rear axle that we have beefed up, shot blased and then black powder coated. hopefully this one will stand forrest stages better:approve:

alien green rs133
If you thought that was heavy we just made a 12mm sump guard:S
Anyway its all going on tomorrow and I'll take some pics of that and my new rear axle that we have beefed up, shot blased and then black powder coated. hopefully this one will stand forrest stages better:approve:

he hopes ;)

must get pics of current camber to show how bad it is

alien green rs133
not normal

18189064a10544609059o.jpg

18189064a10544609099o.jpg

one on right, powder coated black is new straight one thats been stiffened you cna see how much it is bent
the other ends of beams are inline

18189064a10544609130o.jpg

18189064a10544609158o.jpg

and now the new sump guard

18189064a10544609185o.jpg

18189064a10544609213o.jpg

BEND THAT YOU B@STARD!!!

172 gravel rally
I've also bent the front subframe with a small-ish impact with a bank but it also destroyed the wishbone hangers. Did you reinforce those too? And recently done the same to the rear beam, not quite as bad as yours, looking to reinforce it but not sure where to add fillets. I also want to go with a rear coil over, will I need to strengthen the shock bolt area?