ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rancid - Cisco Backups

Not a 320d
Hi all

Any experienced Rancid users on here? Can you comment on it?

Ive put network backups on the back burner since last year. We had something like 26 cisco devices across the UK which i was backing up manually every so often, honestly I never gave it too much thought due to lack of experience. Now were looking after the entire global network infrastructure theres almost 100 Cisco devices world wide - a growing number too. So ive got to setup automated backups.

I was going to use Archive with a Kron schedule for routers and switches pointed to our syslog server via FTP (this is running on a switch currently and works) and for the ASA's I was hoping Call Home would work via FTP (Not looked into this yet) so that might suffice.

But across the Cisco forums and other places ive read about Rancid. I get the impression that with it being linux itll be fairly powerful and it wont just be cisco stuff it can do. So a potential solution.....

Do you rate it? I can clone Centos server and have a play with it easily so wouldnt be too much of an issue...

E39 530i
I'm trying to get my head around ours as well. Currently looking to into this as well. We have something at work but the old tech geek was s**t for finishing things off. I'll see what we use and will come back to you.