ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Random cutting out

Hey ppl,
My 2002 Clio 1.2 16v has started cutting out randomly. It will be running fine then for no reason just cut out. I can restart the engine straight away after tho.

Is this a common problem, and if so, what is the likely cause?

Thanks,
-TS

80MPG BEEZA
clean throttle body - check spark plugs - my friend has fitted new leads but kept the spark plugs not changing the rubber bushes and his spits and coughs now and again

Volvo S60 T5
Check the metal cover on the ecu is not cutting into the wiring loom and shorting it out.

The covers at the back of the inlet manifold/air filter housing.

"Navy" N17 TWO
My 2004 dci has started doing this since last Wednesday

Everything is fine until it starts "coughing" and chugging... then suddenly comes to a halt (battery & stop light come on dash and engine cuts out)

??? Could this be a coincidence with;

1. washing the car last Wednesday, also powerhosed the soot from my tailpipes
OR
2. driving approx 20-30 miles after the fuel light came on

My 2004 dci has started doing this since last Wednesday

Everything is fine until it starts "coughing" and chugging... then suddenly comes to a halt (battery & stop light come on dash and engine cuts out)

??? Could this be a coincidence with;

1. washing the car last Wednesday, also powerhosed the soot from my tailpipes
OR
2. driving approx 20-30 miles after the fuel light came on

Water might have got to ECU etc. Unlikly the fuel light though.
You need someone to read the fauls the engine has might be TDC problem

182 Trophy
My Girlfriend had the same problem with her 52 plate car. It would cut out and then not always start straight away. We could not find the problem and neither could the dealers. They also knew there was a problem as it cut out on them but could not find it after going through the internet it seems that alot of 02/52 reg cars have this problem some people have spent 100's on a new ecu's ect but the problems re-occurs. So she got rid after a lot of hassle. Hope your problem is not the above and can be fixed.

Chris

"Navy" N17 TWO
I thought mine had just picked up some dirt from the fuel

Topped up and added some injector cleaner, was fine for the last 2 weeks until last night it cut out again

Driving along at 60mph then the battery & stop light flashed a few times, engine cut on/off until it died completley.
Light, climate control & radio stayed on until ignition was turned off.

Pulled over, turned ignition off and back on again, car started as normal :S

Needless to say; I'm very confused

I thought mine had just picked up some dirt from the fuel

Topped up and added some injector cleaner, was fine for the last 2 weeks until last night it cut out again

Driving along at 60mph then the battery & stop light flashed a few times, engine cut on/off until it died completley.
Light, climate control & radio stayed on until ignition was turned off.

Pulled over, turned ignition off and back on again, car started as normal :S

Needless to say; I'm very confused

If you got dirty in it the system would completly crash, new engine time if you get dirty in the system thats why there so mad on cleanlyness.
You must have some sort of fault logged are you running low on fuel driving full throttle what rpm?

Earthing leads are my best bet.

"Navy" N17 TWO
LOL As expected Renault didnt know exactly what was wrong, said they just hooked it to the computer and cleared any faults that came up.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Did this again last night, so took off my Tunning box thinking it was playing about

All was fine until the car cut out again - the tunning box sitting on the back seat I'm lost for clues :(

if you changed the plugs , make sure they are the correct renault ones as i have equivelent makes still give problems . saying this throttle body is still the main suspect ( i take it the loom is fine as MIKE advised to check) there is also a reprogramming on the ecu that may need doing but this is dealer only job.
hope this helps

tigger says;

aLOL As expected Renault didnt know exactly what was wrong, said they just hooked it to the computer and cleared any faults that came up.nd good luck.

did you get the print out of the faults ?

D

dick

my ECU was shorting, so i took the metal cage off, is it ok just to leave like that?or shall i put tape over and put it back on?

"Navy" N17 TWO
The car is booked into Reno service tomorrow evening

What should I ask them to check?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Reno have told me their computer is finding no faults at all :rolleyes:

They suggest leaving the car with them for a few days so it has a chance to happen again while they have it.
I can't even trust them to lock the car, never mind let them drive it! :dapprove:

my car does this.. but it doesn't always start straight away after.. the engine turns over but dead fast after it has cut out.. so i havne't drove it for 2 weeks, taking it to a garage tomorrow praying it makes it.

somrthing tells me it could be timing belt and there is also a slight tickover rattle coming from under the engine, which gets higher and faster as i rev but then can go very quiet as the clutch is in.

sometimes my car doesn't s=tart though when its been parked up.. and takes a bit of effort and a few tries to start..

its not been serviced for over a year though.. spark plugs are shagged.. oil is black so i'm hopefully going to do something about it tomorrow

"Navy" N17 TWO
My oil was last changed at 18k miles - due another change now maybe

Would dirty oil be a cause of this problem?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Is there any chance the car would cut out like that due to my ICE putting strain on the alternator?

Don't think it is but the ICE has a seperate battery in the boot with a split charge on the alternator