ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rapid clunking/vibrating/knocking on hard left corners

Clio 172
Hi guys

Had this problem since I got the car.

Basically, on fast, sweeping, sharp left hand bends I get a fast knocking/clunking. If I take it slower, it's a faint noise, if I take it faster its alot louder, and can feel the knocking/vibrating through the floor. Something it is similar to is rumble strips you hit on the motorway.
Both driveshafts have been replaced with good working CV joints.

It only happens on LEFT sharp, sweeping bends, at speed.
It happens when their is alot of weight on the right wheel, and little on the left (ie if I throw it to the right, then to the left quickly, it can happen)

Is there anything else it could be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Changes to often
difficult to say, could be a wheel bearing? have you tryed putting it on full lock and driving slowly in a circle, if it knock when doing this then its the cv joint

Clio 172
difficult to say, could be a wheel bearing? have you tryed putting it on full lock and driving slowly in a circle, if it knock when doing this then its the cv joint

Replaced the pass side wheel bearing the other day. Yep done that and no knocking, tried it both ways and in reverse

Changes to often
might be worth jacking up the drivers side and push n pull the top and bottom of the wheel and see if you can feel any play, thats all i can think of really.

Clio 182 trophy
My brother had exactly the same problem turned out to be the upper engine mount so he replaced it with a updated one no problems since, try packing some washers at the back of the mount to see if it is
Matty

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
My brother had exactly the same problem turned out to be the upper engine mount so he replaced it with a updated one no problems since, try packing some washers at the back of the mount to see if it is
Matty

This.

I changed both upper engine and gearbox mounts and the noise disappeared.

Clio 172
If you're around my area at all I'd be more than willing to come out in the passenger seat and then take a look?

Think I might take you up on that soon Rob! I'm properly ripping my hair out over it at the moment! Cheers mate

About the mounts, ill try pack the drivers side mount. The gearbox mount has already been replaced due to a separate fault