ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle Can Spraying Advice

Car  Clio Dynamique 16v
DSC00420.webp


Quick question for spraying bullets DIY

Do you sand down the final layer of paint before lacquering

After leaving 24hrs to harden obviously

Only ask because I did them once, and then sanded down with 1200grit used wet and it made the paint look dull, even after lacquering them, so I have sprayed them again

Thanks, Jon
 
I wouldn't bother, there's no need tbh as the majority of the finish comes from how well the lacquer is applied.
 
There's no need for that especially with Metallic!

In most cases a two-stage paintjob, consist of a base-coat to be followed by a clearcoat. (the clear obviously for protection and shine!)
 
I always leave the last coat of colourcoat unsanded and just apply the laquer over the top. Not sure if its right, but it worked fine for me in the past
 
I always leave the last coat of colourcoat unsanded and just apply the laquer over the top. Not sure if its right, but it worked fine for me in the past

+1 wetsand everything underneath this but the last layer needs to be fine otherwise you'll end up with lacquering over scratches, tasty
 
lol! wet dry it . 2000! and yes it will go dull you need to polish it back !
but with a rattle can i wouldnt really bother tbh mate just sand the primer back! no need to with the paint unless you get any bits / dust in the paint work
 
I want to get a really good mirror finish, so im going to wet flat my colour coat with 3000 grit wet and dry. I'm then planning on polishing it back up and then applying the clear coat.

However will i need to somehow strip the polish off before applying the clear coat?
 
Flintshire eh?? And handy with the spray paint......... hmmm!!!!

Looks a good enough finish as it is now TBH!
 
I want to get a really good mirror finish, so im going to wet flat my colour coat with 3000 grit wet and dry. I'm then planning on polishing it back up and then applying the clear coat.

However will i need to somehow strip the polish off before applying the clear coat?

There's no need to sand any colour coats . It's the final clear coats / lacquer that gives the the gloss finish your after . This can be sanded back and polished up if for instance you have any runs . But your really wasting your time and paint sanding back any colour coats just for the sake of it , unless of course you have any imperfections in the colour coat , i.e. runs , bits of s**t .......

If you do polish the colour coat before applying lacquer , your might find the lacquer will struggle to adhere and consequently flake and peel off in time .
 
Back
Top