ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle driving me crazy!

ClioSport 182
Hi,

Recently my 182 has developed an annoying "rattle" in the boot area. It is like a metallic crackling sound coming from beneath the plastic housing which covers where the rear wiper motor is. I pulled off the plastic housing but still can't locate where it is coming from. The crackling sound is more evident when going round corners.

Anyone have any ideas? It's really getting on my nerves :(

KnightAzul

My boot used to rattle and drive me crazy. One of the things I tried was driving with the boot lid open (only for a short distance!) which stopped it. Eventually I oiled the boot hinges and it's never done it since!

I'm not saying it will help you, but its fixed mine and anything is worth a shot!

ClioSport 182
Yep, anything is worth a shot! I am at my wits end ...
The noise seems to be coming from the lower part of the boot where the rear wiper motor is. I have tried holding on to most parts of the boot while a friend was driving and still could not locate the bugger.

KnightAzul

Mate I had this it drove me crazy, could even hear it with radio on. Like u I tried the plastic housing but no joy. Anyway, I took it into renault and basically told em to fix it. They said it was the bootlock and ordered a new one, which they said they would fit 3 days later. Anyway I made a mark on my bootlock to see if they would change it, and guess what... they didnt (looks like there skanking renault HQ here!). HOWEVER they have fixed the rattle. It appears all they did is put a crap load of grease/oil/gunk in the boot lock mechanism. U might wanna try that.

ClioSport 182
That was my next step, liberal use of WD40, gunk, etc. all over the place. I'm just surprised that I can't pin point the sound. I had the luxury of being in the back seat with the parcel shelf removed (with a friend driving) and pretty much testing holding on to everything and still couldn't locate it. Very depressing ...

KnightAzul

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
In my mk2 172 the spare wheel yellow insert with all the cheapo tools was what was making my rattle in the boot.

Its probably better using some thick grease to lubricate with as WD40 may be to thin and make it worse.

Another option for pin pointing the problem is to take out the rear back rests and get a mate to sit in the boot while you drive to find the rattles.

ClioSport 182
I pretty much removed everything from the boot apart from the carpet (no spare or tools on the 182). Also, I was craned over the seats with my ear next to the metal of the boot ... very dangerous as my friend as "enjoying" the 182 for the first time.

So gunk all over the boot hinges and bootlock mechanism. Any other parts around that area which could be suspect??

KnightAzul

No mate, nowt else to try really. The fact that u cant pin point it suggests to me it may well indeed be that boot lock, give it a whirl and let me know how u get on.

RenaultSport clio 182
wot u wana do is slacken the boot lock and wind in the adjusters then shut the boot and tighten it from within if u can or just open it and do it. then adjust the winders for a nice fit. if not get renault 2 put a new catch init and dont take no for an answer.

clio 1.4 rt
i fixed mine with a load of lithium grease in the mechanism. lithium grease is just the thick white grease and it seemed to do the trick