ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattleing noise gearbox or clutch

I hear ratteling noises coming from my gearbox (i think), it gos away when a put my foot down on the clutch and comes back when im in neutral..... What could this be? clutch bearings or mesh syncro, I hope the latter if any.....

The nosie remain consistant and never gets louder.... but it takes a while before the noise starts (i.e. when the car warms up....

Clio 1.8 16v m reg

I had a noise that was present when I released the clutch (like when idling/sat at lights etc) - but it went after a while for no apparent reason. I think it sounds like the clutch release bearing is worn.

clutch kit cost me £140 but i completely strip down the car myself,

About £400 - £450 for a garage to do it

You can buy just the bearing but its the labour to replace it what costs so you may aswell put i new clutch in while the box is off

youd rather hove the synchromesh go than the release bearing!!!

odd fetish...lol

yea, the part itself is about 20-30 quid but the box needs to come off, you dont have to take it out, you can just tilt the box down, but might as well put a new clutch in there. And make sure you align it all properly, or youll be stuck with that horrid grumble from a misaligned bearing.

just rest you fott on the pedal whenever the thing makes the noise. Dont actually press it. If the noise goes fubbard release bearing.

A clutch kit, heavy duty one is 60 quid, thats plate, cover and release bearing. Not to hard to fit, a bit daunting if you have never done it though.

I have to ask BenR how can you missalign a release bearing?

Hmm, if its not aligned the box will not go on.

It will align itself if you operate it before trying to bolt it all up if you dont have an aligment tool.

How do you operate it? AMke sure the nuts are on the locating studs so the box doesnt move. Clasp your hands together on the release fork and the clutch cable mounting point and squeeze, it will loosen the plate enough for it to move and allow the box to slide on.

THats what i thought, yet when i didnt use a alignement tool i got a very very slight rumble from the bearing......