ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattles + Solutions

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Right, spill the beans, we all know the Clio is a rattly b*****d so which rattles have you solved, and how?!

I want this thread to be able to help out anyone experiencing some rather irritating noises from the interior plastics ;)

I have a few rattles coming from behind the dash, very very annoying, but I have no idea how to stop them!

Also, whilst idling in traffic, my drivers side door card rattles. If I push my elbow into it, it stops! Ive had it off and had a look, but still none the wiser!

:rolleyes:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Right, spill the beans, we all know the Clio is a rattly b*****d so which rattles have you solved, and how?!

I want this thread to be able to help out anyone experiencing some rather irritating noises from the interior plastics ;)

I have a few rattles coming from behind the dash, very very annoying, but I have no idea how to stop them!

Also, whilst idling in traffic, my drivers side door card rattles. If I push my elbow into it, it stops! Ive had it off and had a look, but still none the wiser!

:rolleyes:

Dash top off. The things that rattle the most are around the heater vents and around the clocks. The problem comes from where the hard plastics are bonded to the 'soft touch' part. They basically are melted together. But over time the joins become loose, and then vibrate. I used some epoxy glue round all the joins underneath, that seemed to cure it. Door cards are usually the white plastic popper clips. Whip off the door card, smear some clear silicone around them, reattach. Or another favourite is the black honeycomb window guide that rubs against the door skin. Just bang some foam between any close surfaces.

You can also line any suspect surfaces in this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Squeak-F...ultDomain_3&hash=item27b968cd06#ht_1008wt_905

works well in my experience

I just call it "character" and live with it. Even my 200 rattles and it's not even done 10k yet.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I just call it "character" and live with it. Even my 200 rattles and it's not even done 10k yet.

.............but no where near the feel of a MK2. I whipped the door card off my 197 the other day, i was happy to see they have changed the white popper clips that cause so many of the rattles. They now have a rubber lining around them. Looks like they do learn sometimes!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Bought a louder exhaust. Wear a helmet when i drive it.

For me, the rattle proves that the part is still attached the car, im more worried when it stops rattling, as that normally means its fallen off.

The old ones are the best ;)

This thread is well needed!!

In mine it's a combination of dash board and/or passenger side B pillar/window area that bugs me :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
This thread is well needed!!

In mine it's a combination of dash board and/or passenger side B pillar/window area that bugs me :(

Dash top off. The things that rattle the most are around the heater vents and around the clocks. The problem comes from where the hard plastics are bonded to the 'soft touch' part. They basically are melted together. But over time the joins become loose, and then vibrate. I used some epoxy glue round all the joins underneath, that seemed to cure it. Door cards are usually the white plastic popper clips. Whip off the door card, smear some clear silicone around them, reattach. Or another favourite is the black honeycomb window guide that rubs against the door skin. Just bang some foam between any close surfaces.

You can also line any suspect surfaces in this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Squeak-Fe...#ht_1008wt_905

works well in my experience
try that

Yeah tapped anti squeak into ebay and that's the first thing that came up :)

In all fairness dash isn't too bad...but passenger side is a pig at times

Clio 172
Is my clio the only one that doesn't rattle?! The only annoyance I had was a buzzing coming from the air con thermostat fan in the interior light console... took it out and cleaned it with a cotton bud and squirty air and hey presto no more buzzing. Took me a while to work out what the hell ot was though!!

Clio 172 ph2
Is my clio the only one that doesn't rattle?! The only annoyance I had was a buzzing coming from the air con thermostat fan in the interior light console... took it out and cleaned it with a cotton bud and squirty air and hey presto no more buzzing. Took me a while to work out what the hell ot was though!!

I had this too, coton bud and wd40 cured it!

sometimes get the steering column rattle but an accurately aimed thump sorts it for abit longer.

Worst rattles are from engine and exhaust/cat on mine, interior isn't too bad at all

e92 330i
My sunroof rattles/squeaks at any sign of a crease on the road, breaks squeak, something in the boot rattles, hard to find that one! Generally the whole car rattles and squeaks, I've just grown used to it tbh.

Edit: garage hadn't done wheel bolts up tight on one side and that knocked for s few miles before I clocked what it was, scary s**t, haven't been back there since.

Impreza Wagon
I came from driving a 106 so I'm used to the rattles. However the sunroof rattle in the 1.2 Clio is possibly the worst noise ever!!!

200 FF Storm Grey
My wheel straps rattle in the buckle every so often and when they do it's constant, doesn't matter what you're doing they rattle then it might go away again for a month

Clio RS 182
I know its not internal but the rattle of the engine cover can be solved with a small piece of heat resistant foam, worked spot on for mine. I didn't want to remove the cover before anyone says

Kawasaki ER6N
I have a rattle in the drivers door still and no idea what it is lol.

I thought it was the metal rod connecting the handle to the mechanism but guess it wasnt.

I came from driving a 106 so I'm used to the rattles. However the sunroof rattle in the 1.2 Clio is possibly the worst noise ever!!!

Mine didn't rattle at all until I resealed it. Now it rattles like a b**ch and there is no stopping it.

At least I know its sealed now.

I have rattles and squeaks coming from everywhere on the interior. If I took the interior out, it would be close to silent in the cabin im sure of it.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I have a rattle in the drivers door still and no idea what it is lol.

I thought it was the metal rod connecting the handle to the mechanism but guess it wasnt.

Same here!

I took the doorcard off and went for a drive to see if I could see what it is.
Im nearly 100% certain its the black plastic honeycombe bit. I tried getting it off to stick some silicone or foam behind it, but it wouldnt budge!!

Kawasaki ER6N
This is what I have just done and seems to have worked

e9eaa7c8.jpg

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
the bottom of my drivers side B pillar rattles where it meets the door card, if i just put my elbow on it it stops, think i''ve shook it loose though with loud music lol :eek:
i'll stick a bit of sponge under it, should sort it, if not, louder music it is :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
This is what I have just done and seems to have worked

e9eaa7c8.jpg

Thats it, them impact bars rub on the door skin also. Basically foam anything that might rub. (love the scouring pad btw;))I even whipped that honeycomb bit off and siliconed all round the clips, and along that bar, stops it rubbing when it dries out

Kawasaki ER6N
Thats it, them impact bars rub on the door skin also. Basically foam anything that might rub. (love the scouring pad btw;))I even whipped that honeycomb bit off and siliconed all round the clips, and along that bar, stops it rubbing when it dries out

Also on the B-Pillar trims take the white bits out that rattle around and put blu tac in the hole so when you slot the white bit back in it doesnt move and therefore eliminates the rattles.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

How do you get the honey combe bit off?!?!
Those clips wouldnt budge on mine!

Can give this a go on the weekend :D (again)

Kawasaki ER6N
I didnt remove mine and the noise stopped take the doorcard off and pull forwards and backwards and see if you can hear the noise then pull the impact bar towards you and the noise should stop.

Wedge something in there to force it towards you so it doesnt rub and done.