ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling coming from underneath...gearbox?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hi guys,

You'll have to bear with me here, I'm not the most mechanically minded person.

Anyway, the 182 has developed a new rattle over the past few months. I originally had it down as the exhaust, but other than worn mounts my mechanic couldn't find anything. So now I'm looking at the clutch/gearbox area.

It seems to be an intermittent rattle when:

1) on idle. Tends to be more frequent when warm.
2) switching the engine off. This is by far when the rattle is loudest. Ingition off then a loud rattle/shake. Tends to be louder after a longer drive, although doesn't always happen.

I also hear the same noise when stationary and in gear and the handbrake on. From here, I lift up the clutch to the biting point, then quickly push it down again. This creates the 'rattle' noise.

Sorry I can't be more technical or specific, but does anyone recognise this at all? If it helps, the car's on 87k.

Cheers,
Luke.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Luke, will look into it from that angle mate. Are the uprated items worth going for? Bear in mind I don't drive like a hero/bellend everywhere.

Rhys - I've not mate, will have my mechanic take a look when he services it next week. I wouldn't know what I'm looking for :eek:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully if it's a rattle it's something like that. I had an arch liner come off a clio at circa 90mph, take my lower front grill out and smash my heat shield up against the gear linkage. Easy fix though.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Dan, another thing for me to check for mate.

Can also get a video of the noise if it helps?

Megane r26
Cheers Luke, will look into it from that angle mate. Are the uprated items worth going for? Bear in mind I don't drive like a hero/bellend everywhere.

Rhys - I've not mate, will have my mechanic take a look when he services it next week. I wouldn't know what I'm looking for :eek:

I wouldn't bother with the uprated mounts, I had the vibra technics ones an thu they did nothing but rattle me car to pieces, the only mount i'd bother with is an uprated powerflex dogbone then standard Renault mounts for the rest.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I wouldn't bother with the uprated mounts, I had the vibra technics ones an thu they did nothing but rattle me car to pieces, the only mount i'd bother with is an uprated powerflex dogbone then standard Renault mounts for the rest.

Ta Dan, good to know mate.

Can't watch at work mate but will check later. Hope not; sounds expensive :dapprove: