ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling from the back of the car

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Aloha

My 182's got a small problem - when you start it up from cold and pull away there's a rattling coming from the back of the car; sounds like something's lose in the exhaust. Also happens between 2000-4000rpm. Seems to die down a little when it gets hot but it's still there. Grrrr....

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing a rattle from under the car? I've checked and nothing's touching the ground, nothing seems particularly loose at the back end of the exhaust. There ends my technical knowledge and problem solving abilities.

Btw, I feel I should point out this is with nothing in the boot (crying babies, snakes etc).

Help?

Dan

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
Have you checked both rear rubber exhaust hangers and the central one to see if they are disintegrating or have lost their elasticity and collapsed? If so, they will either need replacing or the 'support' mod that can be found on here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=334696&highlight=exhaust

Could be one of the heat shields making contact with the exhaust possibly. My exhaust started rattling and it turned out to be blowing at the welded join where rear back box meets the pipe, this is hidden from view unless you get right underneath the car.

To be honest, maybe I'm too relaxed about it, but I expect a little rattle when driving off from cold. The suspension is stiff on these cars, the exhausts are heavy. When the engine is cold, its bound to grumble a bit till its warmed up and this in turn will reverberate and affect the manifold and exhaust for a while, just a thought.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Coolies, I shall have a good look under the car tonight and see if there's anything I can do or replace.

Read a few threads about the heat shield vibrations - I may have to become a member just to read the thread you linked to...

Thanks for the info

Dan