ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling noise

RB 182
had cambelt/service done last week. Cars been fine.

Drove it this morning , all was fine. Went into halfrauds came out and started it up and there is a wierd rattling/knocking noise coming from the drivers side in the engine.
Started it up few times and made same noise every time. drove home didnt really hear anything. The noise is when start up and switch off.

Any ideas??

RB 182
Tried to video it , had to do it on my phone which is poop, so cant hear it very well. But you can slightly hear the noise half way through the vid. Seems to be more when cars idle. The noise is coming from the lower side. Where i shot vid too.

th_Video0003.jpg

Megane Mk4
Lower side? could be a cam belt issue, or possibly if it's coming from the back of the engine, could well be a loose manifold cover rattling maybe?

mk7 fiesta zs
what exactly was done in the service? was it just a cambelt change or the full kit with new tensioner etc?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
mine does this or very similar, but it does it constantly at idle. once i move off or rev the engine it stops. I aint sure what it is but hoping it is something easy to fix.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
maybe check for play in the engine mounts when it's idling? possibly engine mount not done up tight enough?

RB 182
what exactly was done in the service? was it just a cambelt change or the full kit with new tensioner etc?

yeh it was the full kit , also had aux done as well.

mine does this or very similar, but it does it constantly at idle. once i move off or rev the engine it stops. I aint sure what it is but hoping it is something easy to fix.

mine isnt constant , it rattles then quiet for second then rattles. But like you its really only on idle. Someone said dephaser......hope not.

maybe check for play in the engine mounts when it's idling? possibly engine mount not done up tight enough?

ill have a check of that this morning

Fiesta ST-2
Mines doing this, checked this morning and the inlet manifold cover? Is loose the square metal bit (lol) under the plastic engine cover. Didn't have time to check it properly but I can move it up or down maybe its snapped off?

RB 182
Mines doing this, checked this morning and the inlet manifold cover? Is loose the square metal bit (lol) under the plastic engine cover. Didn't have time to check it properly but I can move it up or down maybe its snapped off?

where is your sound coming from??

mines coming from below, its louder if i get down on floor near drivers side front wheel.

Fiesta ST-2
Originally thought it was underneath but its in the engine bay does it when reaching bitting point the vibration makes it rattle its loose the inlet manifold or its snapped off

RB 182
ok well ive been having a fiddle with the car , my dad appeared with a stick ( i wasnt to happy about this but hopefully we have sourced where the sound is coming from)
its definatly something knocking together , mainly when i switch the engine on and off . Now i think (not 100%) it the metal plate in the below pics ( sorry i have no idea what it is , im a woman after all ;) )

Photo0730-1.jpg

Photo0729-1.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, i still cant find my camera :(