ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattling top end help!

340i
Frustrating to say the least!!!

Tried mixing some sugar in the with the oil to make it run sweeter? ;)

Lionel Richie
f**king no chance is it clutch! i'm pulling the engine and tearing it apart, i WILL find the problem!!! rattling tensioner can't be THAT loud (go back to page 1) its metal on metal, £1 says its bottom end

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You tried running it with very little oil for a few seconds?

Stem seals ok?

That video is hard to discern but its f**king loud the only thing ive ever had go on mine that made that much noise was the water pump.

Lionel Richie
the only thing that sticks out is, i can tell its got HOT as the oil on the head bolts stinks like hell

and also it has a 172 breather set up on the rocker cover thats been bodged to fit the 182 plenham, but i already know its on its second engine

it sounds like its coming from the plenham though tom

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
An air leak wouldn't make that kinda noise would it?? it sounds like something is physically rattling about. Sounds like a bitsathisbitsathat engine.

Lionel Richie
taken the bottom end apart, thats fine

putting the head back on i did notice a slight problem when tightening up the head bolts, no 10 head bolt when tight can be moved with a rachet, plus it has what looks like a hairline crack forming on the head of it

Lionel Richie
yeah can do, but i fly out the country on thursday am, i don't think the owner wants his car sat round my place for ANOTHER month!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
My 106 GTi did the same and it was blocked oil wells..which made the head HOT and over time cracked in various places!

Couldn't really see them to the eye, but took it to a machine shop and they found loads of cracks etc

Astra van,Mk1 nova
warped head? My friends astra gsi had a similar problem due to the oil pump being faulty, ran to hot, head warped and cracked, was banging/ticking like a b**ch!

Just a thought maybe?

Lionel Richie
i'm admitting defeat on this one! its definatley something cylinder head related, everytime i run the engine its getting louder and louder

LY 182
burn it? nothing left to check is there?

i've seen a valve seat come loose in the past, but you would notice a loss of compression i;d imagine

Lionel Richie
nothing much, just decided to have a look at this car thinking "oh it'll be something easy" turned out to be the nightmare of all nightmares! LOL

fred-tectuningIsportworks - coming soon...... ;)

Turbo Beige
I would say bent Valves.

I have done the head on my car this week (306 Rallye) it was rattling the same so i did the tappets a few weeks ago, no change. All cyllinders had full compression, pulled the head off and there was no leakage on the test from the valves, but when we pulled the valves out there was 2 bent on the inlet of number 2.