ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RCS 172 Cold Start Problems

Renault Clio Sport 2002
Hey there guys

I hear this is a common problem and how can it be fixed. I have a RCS 172 2002 model with only 38,000 kilometers (note i'm based in Australia). And a mate of mine has a 2006 182 Cup with only 12,000 kms with the same problem.

When the car has been sitting around for a while and its cold as, it takes 2 - 3 attempts to get the bloody thing to start. Can someone tell me what is the exact problem and what needs to be done to repair it. My car still have 10 months left on the extended warranty which is apparently only for parts and not labour, so I dont wanna get ripped off when I take it in to Renault. The car has its full service history by Renault and had its 40,000km service when it only had 30,000kms.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

if when you mean sitting for a while as in couple of hours etc, could be a fault in the tdc sensor. common fault on these and they dont always show up as a fault.

Renault Clio Sport 2002
It tends to happen first thing in the morning, when I leave work of an afternoon and it has been sitting in the carpark for 8-10hrs. Even last night when I didnt use it for 2 hours.

Do you know what is involved in fixing the tdc sensor? Cost?

BTW what does tdc stand for?

Cheers

It tends to happen first thing in the morning, when I leave work of an afternoon and it has been sitting in the carpark for 8-10hrs. Even last night when I didnt use it for 2 hours.

Do you know what is involved in fixing the tdc sensor? Cost?

BTW what does tdc stand for?

Cheers

Top dead center sensor also called crank angle sensor sometimes.

Only cheap £20 for a new one the new ones are better designed as well. Easy to change though.

BMW F31
yeah mine was like this this morning took 2/3 attempts with the key to get her going and when i finally managed it i had to give her some gas like in the old days with a carb'd car to get her to turn. why is this?

yeah mine was like this this morning took 2/3 attempts with the key to get her going and when i finally managed it i had to give her some gas like in the old days with a carb'd car to get her to turn. why is this?

Starter motors don't like the cold neither do batteries.

Does it shound like its not getting fuel or is it not turning over the starter at all?

BMW F31

Starter motors don't like the cold neither do batteries.

Does it shound like its not getting fuel or is it not turning over the starter at all?

the starters turning no prob's the fuel pump etc all make the noise they should etc it just dont fire up as it does on first click when she's been warm, my battery may be a problem? the lights dim slightly then come back up when i switch on the rear heated window or try and put up the window etc when its already up if you get me.

Renault Clio Sport 2002
Yeah i'm based in Sydney Australia, its summer and its not cold thats for sure...hehehe. It was 18 degrees this morning when I TRIED to start the car to go to work and it took me about 5 mins to get the bloody thing going. Not impressed at all with Mr Clio. I just sold a 10yr old Toyota MR2 and it never skipped a beat.
It does sound like an old carby engine trying to kick over. The lights seem to all work fine so I dont think its the battery. I just book the car in for its 50,000km service eventhough it only have 38,000kms, but they can do it till the 5/01/07. So I guess I'm going to have to put up with it till then. Arrrgghhhh.

It would be great to hear from other ppl who had the same problem and got it fixed.

So far it sounds like it might be the "Top dead center sensor also called crank angle sensor sometimes".

Cheers
Dave

80MPG BEEZA
ive had this problem just changed plugs and coil pack, removed tdc sensor and gave it a clean, coil pack is £60, the tdc sensor has been renewed and is now £25 plus you need this bit of loom to wire it in which also costs £25 hence why i cleaned mine up first

Lots of Alfas
18 degrees is cold? jeez i cant wait to emigrate, my temp sensor was flashing 1degrees this morning.

Are there many Renault dealors in oz out of interest?

Renault Clio Sport 2002
No 18 degrees isnt cold at all, thats what i was trying to point out that it doesnt have anything to do with the weather. Its SUMMER in Syd. Although 18 degrees is pretty cold for this time of year. It should be at least mid twenties at 7am. hehehehe

Thanks for the feedback batman.

Yeah theres a few Reno dealers but not as many as Toyota, Honda, Holden, Ford etc etc.

GR7

Shiny red R32
Twice in the past couple of weeks mine has not started at the first turn and has made a 'funny' noise that I would find hard to explain. It had a new battery last year and doesn't sound like it's that as I know the 'flat battery' sound!

My 2001 alize has starting with the intermittent starting problem.
Can anyone please post a diagram or picture of where this TDC sensor is?
I will try and give it a clean assuming that its esy to find.
I have absolutely no idea of where to start with car engines, but I'm willing to give it a try if it will stop this annoying problem.

Thanks

172 Ph1
Also had this problem changed the tdc sensor an it was fine after.

Its on the gearbox housing if i remember correctly, easy to change.

good luck hope you get it sorted soon.

Also had this problem changed the tdc sensor an it was fine after.

Its on the gearbox housing if i remember correctly, easy to change.

good luck hope you get it sorted soon.

Sorry to sound really thick, but exactly where is the gearbox housing? Do I get to it from above or below and could you describe what the sensor looks like?
The only thing I usually do with my car is fill it with petrol and oil, past that I'm a bit lost I'm afraid.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Mine often does not start first thing on a morning. It starts second time I try, fine.

Oddly it did it all last summer but not the winter. It's just recently started doing it again.

:S

Cup 172
Oddly mine does this too. From Mid July to September it takes two goes to get going.

If you turn the ignition on but dont turn the motor, turn it off, then on again, it will go first time. Seriously...

ex Clio 172 owner :(
^^ Exactly as mine. I'm not worried as I'm always confident it'll start second time such is the pattern its taken. It's more embarrassing than anything else.

I think that I have spotted where the sensor is, but what should I clean it with (WD40 and a rag, or will this damage it?). I've also heard that it can build up static and the best way to discharge it is to touch the sensor with a screwdriver. Will this do anything?

RSC 182 Cup
I cleaned mine with isopropyl alcohol, but metho or anything similar will do the job. Preferably use something that will evapourate and not leave an oily residue (ie. not WD40)

I had my Clio Alize serviced the other week and the garage could find nothing wrong. I'm still having the imtermittent starting problems, but it seems to be more frequent. I have noticed that if I nudge the accelerator if it struggles to start, it usually starts or starts on the next turn of the key. I was told by an ex-Renault employee that you can reprograme the key using the panic lock (turn electrics on, press lock and wait for the beep, turn electrics off and back on, then hold unlock and wait for the beep). Not sure I believe the reprogame trick. I find it really strange that pressing the accelerator makes the car start? Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

172 MKII FF
Mine is similar to this, the car starts but the rev counter goes up and down until i put a bit of gas on it. As soon as I do this, the engine begins to idle at just below 1000 rpm.