ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RE: Oil change

Silver 172 cup
Hi,
Planning to do an oil and filter change next Sunday. Not done one of these before so need a few tips, i.e.:
  • Specific oil to use (by brand) - topped up with 5w40 in the past but wondering if there was a specific brand to use
  • Where to buy the filter from
  • Other parts required/ recommended during change
  • Time taken to do the job and if possible a guide to doing so?
  • Quantity of oil to buy?
  • If any members buy all their required parts/oil from one trusted/good value place then I would like to know where!
  • I own a 172 cup - I presume parts and oil requirements are the same as 182? Just me and my mate are planning to split the cost of the oil and do this at the same time.
Cheers,

Luke

53 Clio's & counting
Specific oil to use (by brand) - Any decent fully synth 5 - 40, id choose titan Pro S or whatever it's called nowadays
Where to buy the filter from - Renault - IMO always buy genuine
Other parts required/ recommended during change the correct tool to undo the sump plug
Time taken to do the job and if possible a guide to doing so? See below
Quantity of oil to buy? 5 ltr's should do it
If any members buy all their required parts/oil from one trusted/good value place then I would like to know where! Wests renault for the filer, Opie Oils for the Oil
I own a 172 cup - I presume parts and oil requirements are the same as 182? Just me and my mate are planning to split the cost of the oil and do this at the same time. Yes, parts are the same

To change, it's the same as any other car, with the main points being the right tool to undo the sump plug, and if you find you don't have one, then the metal square rod that runs through a house door to join the door handles will work.

You may have a problem getting to the oil filer, as space at the front is tight - if so, undo the 2 10mmbolts holding the fuel rail guard on, this give you some more space

Silver 172 cup
Do you think its worth taking to a local garage to do this job? How much will I save by doing it myself (£) if approx prices locally are known?

Just thinking - stamp in the book, receipt from garage, won't have to buy the oil or have the hassle of doing the job myself?

Thanks

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Do you think its worth taking to a local garage to do this job? How much will I save by doing it myself (£) if approx prices locally are known?

Just thinking - stamp in the book, receipt from garage, won't have to buy the oil or have the hassle of doing the job myself?

Thanks
All depends on how confident you are and your abilities. But for all the bits would probably cost less than half of an independent garage would charge for the same job

2010 Jetta TDi 140
The last time I changed mine I think the bits cost about £40 for the oil, filter and new sump washer. That was using Carlube Triple R Fully synth and genuine filter and sump washer.

I always get mine serviced at a garage every year to get the stamp but change the oil every 5 - 6k myself.

Clio 182 arctic
Based in altrincham south manchester. Will enquire at my local garage today and see how this compares to doing it myself.

Cheers

Luke
I would have a go yourself bud.
Its one of those thing that once you have done it once, you will wonder why you never did it in the past. A saving of about £40 for half hours work is a great feeling. Plus it is one of those jobs that you can't really get wrong provided you have the right oil grade etc.

If its your first time, couple of tips that will help make it easier.
The sump plug socket is an 8mm square, well worth buying
Put some rags underneath the oil filter before you remove it. It leaks a bit of oil when removed.
Put the sump plug back in before you start pouring the new oil in. Or there will be much swearing to follow.
Have some old cardboard underneath whatever you're using to catch the oil.

Silver 172 cup
That's great cheers. Think I'll have a go this afternoon. There's a halfords just down the road from me- can I get everything I need from there?

Clio 182 arctic
That's great cheers. Think I'll have a go this afternoon. There's a halfords just down the road from me- can I get everything I need from there?
You can do yes, they even do the little sump plug washer http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_223663_langId_-1_categoryId_256261

A funnel is a great buy. The bigger the better really to prevent it overflowing but it depends how high you are raising the car off the ground.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_206925_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

Sump drain plug key 8mm
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_198829_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

And either a jerry can or a large container from home to store the old oil in, you can then go to the local tip and pour it in a drum and reuse the container. Aslong as the container holds 5l you should be ok