ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Real World Performance

Well Ive been out tonight to do a few quick timings on my own. Timings are for 30-70 in 2nd gear at a steady 30mph and 40-100 starting in 3rd rolling at 40mph before beginning accelleration. Times are the average of 4 runs each.

Temp = 8 degs C

Road conditions = Dry

Fuel = Optimax (full tank)

Tyre Pressure = 2.3bar F, 2.1bar R

Modifications = None

TIMES

30 - 70 = 6.16 seconds (2nd & 3rd gears used)

40 - 100 = 13.37 seconds (3rd and 4th gears used)

Is that using a AP22? That 30-70 time seems pretty quick but I dont know what a 172 is supposed to be.

The measurement was using a stopwatch as everyone can easily get hold of one. Its not the most accurate method , I know, on some goes its was quicker and others slower. I did several runs to get an average and therefore try to minimize errors. Depending on what magazines you read 30 - 70 times range from 6-7 seconds.

So

Bollox, couldnt finish the last post!??!

So it will be interesting to see comparisons between those with and without mods and the different models of Clios.

Ben j - dont take part then. If everything up to Rolling Roads are never ever accepted as accurate, then what harm in doing this?!

Im videoing my runs with my sh*tty digital camera blu-takd to the dash so I can time them afterwards....

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 25 March 2003

surley with how innacurate it can be u may as well just make it up??
Well yes you could just make up the figures, but Im trying to reduce the inaccuracies by getting an average from several runs. I like many others, unfortunately, do not have access to accurate timing equipment. Its only meant to get a general indication of the performance and stopwatches are cheap to come by.

With those who feel they have a "Friday" car will be an easy way to be able to compare with other cars of the same model. Obviously be as accurate as you can, no point trying to kid yourself with made up figures. So BenJ, are you up for including your figures?:)

Yeah I wouldnt bother with a stopwatch - my XR2 used to do 0-60 in 7.5 secs using a stopwatch LOL which was way off as its supposed to be 9.5 secs. The points between pushing the button twice at the exact points will have human error. The speedo will also be out especially if they are as accurate as the 172 power figures;)

This is just to remind people the method to get those times:

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 24 March 2003

....... rolling starts through the gears on a flat/level road. Standing starts have too many variables and is very much dependent on driver skill and road conditions.

A standard method should be adopted to keep consistancy.eg testing 30-70 - start in 2nd gear rolling steady at 30mph then floor the throttle till you past 70mph. Same for 40-100 starting in 3rd again rolling at 40mph before flooring the throttle. (Dont floor the throttle at 20mph and start timing when you hit 30 or 40 mph as the accellerating car has extra inertia to help lower times even more. Key is to keep consistant to be able to make good comparison for all cars taking part)

Post your accelleration times, detailing road conditions (wet or dry), ambient air temperature, tyre pressure, fuel used, mileage on the clock, year of manufacture, modifations carried out on car etc.

Oh and find a nice clear road.;)

i could probably get my hands on an ap22 easier than a stop watch - lol

i know what ya trying to do etc... but the results will be just soo way out it wouldnt really be any basis for comparisons

Ill try to find time in the next day or so to give this a go seeing as Im one of the main culprits with a feeling of having a sub-standard 172 (or maybe just that the 172 isnt a quick enough car, which is what Im trying to discover)

I tried to play on the way into work last night but didnt have any timing equipment and had to do it by counting (which is a terrible method I know!) All I can say from doing it twice (30-70 starting in second with it stabilised at 30 before hand) is that it was nowhere near 6 seconds like Jon - that seems a very fast time.

Obviously Id prefer to do it accurately before posting any figures, but my initial estimates are seconds over what JonC got.

Well, I gave it another go last night, but this time with my digital camera ala Rhys. 2 runs on 30 -70 and 1 run on 40 - 100. The times were pretty similar to what I got originally, but for the record 30 -70 was 6.3 and 40 - 100 13.4.

The

Well Jon ive tried it but as its now rush hour I cant try it again for a while

14 deg / Dry / 1/2 tank fuel

30-70 1st 6.69 (hit rev limiter in 2nd DOH)

30-70 2nd 6.49

40-100 13.72 - only got one attempt (2nd,3rd & 4 th gears)

Due to only getting 3 attempts I would take my highly dodgy results with a even bigger pinch of salt than normal LOL. Good laugh tho.

These results were obtained using a digital stop watch and me having to push the button at the correct time:confused:Dont need to tell me how way out they could be!:)No pedestrians were injured during this process;)

mk2 172

my vts does it in 6.2 secs............................second gear is a bad boy. taken from one of my 0-100 runs. with spin going into 2nd too have the vid

Carlos, those are pretty good times, on par with my 172, nice one!! Always knew Williams were pretty rapid even though you used 2nd gear for the 40-100 time!;)

Cant view the video clips though.:cry:

Right my poor car - ive just done 8 runs on each side of the road incase of a slope. Now just under 1/2 tank of fuel and without the golf clubs I had in the boot LOL.

Sorry Jon I didnt notice the 2nd gear thing so ive used it again!

30-70 (2nd & 3rd)

Run 1 - 6.46

Run 2 - 6.43

Run 3 - 6.48

Run 4 - 6.48

Average: 30-70 = 6.46 secs

40 - 100 (2nd, 3rd & 4th)

Run 1 - 12.83

Run 2 - 12.67

Run 3 - 12.94 (involved a incursion with a landrover!)

Run 4 - 12.67

Average 40-100 = 12.78 secs

Only managed to get 30 - 70 runs last night. Going to try the 40 - 100 later...

Pre-chip (from previous speedo vids):

30 - 70 2nd & 3rd, temps between 2c and 8c = 6.44 secs average

30 - 70 2nd & 3rd, temp 6c, 3/4 tank of cheapo Morrisons petrol = 5.56 secs average

Ive not got any clips of 40 - 100 in just 3rd & 4th so will have another go tonight...

Car currently has a replacement panel filter, de-cat and Hillpower chip (from a Willy 2!)

Rhys

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 26 March 2003

my vts does it in 6.2 secs............................second gear is a bad boy. taken from one of my 0-100 runs. with spin going into 2nd too have the vid
Craggy I am sitting at 30mph then accelerating rather than accelerating from 0. Which will mean you are going to get a quicker 30-70 time.

mk2 172

anyway, go to santa pod and beat 15.6 and ill belive that its faster.... then again that was only 1 dry run taken in 3rd, not 4th.............

Those Williams are posting excellent times, Rhys - 5.56 seconds 30-70!!! bloody ell, nice one! Must find that brand of petrol!

Cmon all you 172/cups/dynamiques/R5T possies, post some times

mailto:M@tthew">M@tthew, could I send you my mpegs to host. they are about 10megs each, is that a problem?

I maybe wrong but sitting at 30 and hitting the accelerator takes more time than just by-passing the 30 in a 0-100. I have seen this argued on other sites so im not being argumentitve.

I live about 700 miles from the Pod so I may give that a miss and I cant afford a new clucth or gearbox so I wont be doing 0- anything;)

If I wanted to beat straight line times I would have kept my last car which was defo faster than a VTS and a Willie!:)

This was just for comparason puporses so dont get all defensive;)

mk2 172

not gettin defensive but iv yet to meet a 16v/williams that id be scared of on any road with all sorts of conditions, yes it wallows about due to ride height but its a little beast and i aint ognna take that away from it, its fast as fook, and my williams does those time way quicker than my sax so nerrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol