ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really nooby question, 172 rear shocks.

RB FF 182
Hi guys...

Never had to change a shock absorber before so never really had the chance to look at one.

Just got some new ones through today ready to be fitted at the weekend. Should there be resistance in both directions of travel? Or just on the way back up??

Thanks... Be kind! :eek:

Mk5 golf gti
yes resistance both ways.push it all the way in on the floor.should be a smooth resistance.then it should slowly come out all the way

RB FF 182
Hmmm... I can compress this new shock really easily... and then to return it to where it started is nice and smooth with lots of resistance.

Faulty unit?

Mk5 golf gti
it shouldnt compress to easily.depends how strong you are lol
a knackered one will have no resistance or minimal resistance
does it return on its own ?

RB FF 182
No resistance on compression, and it does not return by it's self (it's not on the car btw so is not aided by the spring..?)

And I'm no Hulk... lol

Mk5 golf gti
it should return by itself mate forget the spring
you need a new shock because that one sounds fubared

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm not convinced they should return on there own, front ones don't anyway. But should be resistance both ways.

Mk5 golf gti
when off the car there should be resistance both ways as i said above.
and they should return on there own as in you push it in and let go and it comes back out by itself.my new ones did anyway

RB FF 182
Thanks for the input.

Compared it to my knackered one and it's fine. Just expected it to be ultra hard to compress.... Lol!

It does return by it's self, when I tested it in the morning I was late for work so didn't really hang around. Lol

phase 1 flamer 172
For road car use it dosnt want to be too hard to push in so allowing the spring to do its job, and isnt it only gas shocks that will push them selves out.

172 Cup
Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread.

I've just ordered two new rear shocks from Renault.

I've got them both out the box to check resistance, now when I compress neither of them return to the starting position???

Every rear set I've done before on different cars return on their own :(

Could my luck be that bad that both are screwed, or is this how they are on a 172 cup or just been sat in a warehouse for too long?

Thanks very much in advance to any helpers :D