ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Axle Conversion

ive seen references to this a few times, but never heard of anyone doing it, and searches bring up nothing....

172 rear disk axle onto a 1.2 16v..........from what people have said its the way the abs works that stopping people from doing the conversion of the rear axle.......the thing i cant find out though is why? is it due to the size of the abs rings on the disks/hubs or what? can the rings not be replaced with the ones from a 1.2 16v? there must be a way of getting it to work surely?

cheers if anyone has any idea how this might be possible......

Clio 197
I try on my RSi & didn't work :(

because the ABS teeths ring, need the right ABS teeths ring for your clio

different size ABS rings i think, and they cant be replaced but i dont know why :S!

yeah just found mad mikes thread in the depths of the forum threads....

apparently some 1.6's came with disks, and these had the same number of teeth on the abs ring as the 1.2's/1.4's etc....... and apparently using those on the axle instead would work?

CB600FS
apparently some 1.6's came with disks, and these had the same number of teeth on the abs ring as the 1.2's/1.4's etc....... and apparently using those on the axle instead would work?

Yeah Foxy the 1.6s/DCI 100s that did come with disc'd rear axles, used the same ABS pump/computer as the 172s not the 1.2s/1.4s etc.

It can be done but you need to get the same amount of teeth on the discs as you have on the 1.2/1.4 etc drums. The discs use the rubberised type rings which aren't the same as drums (which use metal) - which is another complication.

hmmm....how ghey........i guess the computer will just go stupid if abs isnt connected at the rear?

CB600FS
Light will come on the dash and it won't work abviously.

You can fit the axle and take the ABS fuse out you'd just have conventional brakes then, again the light would come on the dash aswell.

Clio 197
the brakes will goes funny when you fit rear disc kits & ABS.

it all complication so I put drums back on again for good!

M

mini-valver

There must be a way of bodging the drum ABS ringsonto the disc axle though surely? Or have someone fab up a 2 peice ring that can be bolted together on the axle.....

hmmm possibility.....wouldnt be able to try things without buying an axle that might end up useless though hmmm

BMW M135i
yep got every word of that :S
owning a french car i've just about come to terms with but i refuse to talk the language aswell lol

From what I can gather you need ABS rings with 36 teeth on them, you'd need to get them made somehow.

Very rough translation: http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

BMW M5 & E36
So with mine for example, which doesnt have ABS, would i be able to put a cup rear beam on without too many issues? No plans to do such a thing, but it'd be nice to know!

Mercedes C Class Sport
different size ABS rings i think, and they cant be replaced but i dont know why :S!

yeah just found mad mikes thread in the depths of the forum threads....

Yeah, he gave up in the end becuase his beam was £150 and it was gonna be about another £150 to buy the new abs rings and stuff.i think it was the ph3 1.6s that had rear discs

Who needs abs on the rear .
The ABS computer and since you might want it for the speedo plus the abs computer might just not work when i find out there no rear wheels turing as the system been unplugged.
There must be a way of bodging the drum ABS ringsonto the disc axle though surely? Or have someone fab up a 2 peice ring that can be bolted together on the axle.....
Yep easy fix it to get some metal ring made up with the ring amount of teeth but why bother?

Thios has been discussed a few times before including a thread you were writing about your car including a post by me explaining why it won't work.

Lots of Alfas
^ I would have thought most if not all 16v mk2ph1s had abs too. TBH the rear discs conversion is more hassle than its worth, there is not much gained braking force gained and sometimes the discs can be more trouble than they are worth, drums to me are easier to maintain, they are protected from the elements and can normally be fixed by just wacking them with a rubber hammer.

Clio 197
^ I would have thought most if not all 16v mk2ph1s had abs too. TBH the rear discs conversion is more hassle than its worth, there is not much gained braking force gained and sometimes the discs can be more trouble than they are worth, drums to me are easier to maintain, they are protected from the elements and can normally be fixed by just wacking them with a rubber hammer.

Yeah Alize model clio don't have them but can have it & that was in options.

Tbh won't tell the diff went it braking but it looks miles better. I did try that on my RSi but it fail so many reason. I look that in french site & just saw the right ABS ring can get from renault. Mind you most clio in france have rear disc in standard clio.

BMW M5 & E36
Yep it was an option on the Alize as far as I'm aware. I remember seeing a scan from the original sales brochure somewhere. I quite like not having it in a way

LY 182
you do all know the drum brakes will always pull up better than the rear discs!
hence the reason in the olden days cars with drums all round didnt need a servo. only reason they are no good is because of there design the heat up too quickly and fade,, dont know who said drums are easier to maintain as thats opposite to reality, cleaning and adjusting them each service, wheel cylinder seals leaking all the time.
discs require no maintainance at all other than when it needs pads.. but the rear disc conversion serves no purpose other than looks.

Clio Cup by RIKUS
Hello!!!
Good news for everybody!!! I can read French (easy I am French…) and I did the modification…
IT is very easy to do, and it will provide Your Clio a hard and quick answer from any solicitation of the Hand Break and a strong reliable rear breaking as well as a 172 look into your rims…

What I had to change was pretty simple; I ordered 2 new ABS sensors to fit into the 172 parts as well as a 172 Hand break cable( I did not have to modify the ABS target because my Clio was build after 2003 so I’ve got the right amount of teeth in the front)

About Teeth for the ABS just look on your front Drive Shaft to know a much you need, and you don’t have to build those because you can order the proper one from Renault, what you have to order is the Abs target which mount on the non RS Clio on the Front drive shaft, and for the sake of all I do have the reference number for the 36 teeth ABS Target

I’m at your disposal to help all of you to do that mod which is great to me!!! And I will off course answer your questions…

(Now I’m busy installing a 172 front break disk system on the my non RS Clio)​

172 & RSi
I wana do this so much, what parts are needed for a mk2 ph1 1.6 16v Clio (has abs) and how much will it set me back? Is it very difficult or something I could do myself?

Clio Cup by RIKUS
Well, I was thinking of writing ‘’a making of’’ about my mod…
I think I’m going to do It here…. Because one of my fellow French did it already on the French site mentioned above… so I can’t do it there… Yes I can be your French connection…but it is going to take a while…
Yes it will fit any Clio MK2….​

Before considering the mod, you must find and buy a 2nd hand rear axle with disk and brake calliper, if you can’t find any 2nd hand one, just don’t do it!!! Because just a nuked brand new rear axle cost about 700£ and you will still need everything else (brake calliper disk, piping)…

I know where to get those KIT in France for less than 400£ all included with disk and break calliper but I have no idea in UK…

You will also need 2 rear ABS sensors to fit the 172 parts and which must be compatible with your ABS Calculator…
To help you and find those I need you to give me the car type code CXXX and the year

Like I said above, you have to look and count on your front driveshaft how many teeth are on the abs Target, because for your car the 172 abs target won’t fit and you will have to change them. It cost about 35£ for both of them brand new (but I have a set of 36 teeth at home for sale)

Then depend on your 2nd hand parts, you will need: 172 Hand Brake cable, new pad, Brake pipe…

To make it easy you need couple of the right tools like: 30mm Socket, a set of Torx screw driver, a torch wrench…
And miscellaneous like brake fluid and the necessary to bleed the break circuit and the car service manual to know with how much torch you must tied all the screws

It is quit easy to do but you need some basic in mechanic, a guide line if you never did it… and about 5 hours…​

Clio MK2 Ph2 1.4 16v
Well, I was thinking of writing ‘’a making of’’ about my mod…
I think I’m going to do It here…. Because one of my fellow French did it already on the French site mentioned above… so I can’t do it there… Yes I can be your French connection…but it is going to take a while…

Yes it will fit any Clio MK2….

Before considering the mod, you must find and buy a 2nd hand rear axle with disk and brake calliper, if you can’t find any 2nd hand one, just don’t do it!!! Because just a nuked brand new rear axle cost about 700£ and you will still need everything else (brake calliper disk, piping)…

I know where to get those KIT in France for less than 400£ all included with disk and break calliper but I have no idea in UK…

You will also need 2 rear ABS sensors to fit the 172 parts and which must be compatible with your ABS Calculator…
To help you and find those I need you to give me the car type code CXXX and the year

Like I said above, you have to look and count on your front driveshaft how many teeth are on the abs Target, because for your car the 172 abs target won’t fit and you will have to change them. It cost about 35£ for both of them brand new (but I have a set of 36 teeth at home for sale)

Then depend on your 2nd hand parts, you will need: 172 Hand Brake cable, new pad, Brake pipe…

To make it easy you need couple of the right tools like: 30mm Socket, a set of Torx screw driver, a torch wrench…
And miscellaneous like brake fluid and the necessary to bleed the break circuit and the car service manual to know with how much torch you must tied all the screws

It is quit easy to do but you need some basic in mechanic, a guide line if you never did it… and about 5 hours…​
I have CB0PEG 2004 1.4 16v, Can you help me its the last piece of a puzzle!