ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear beam removal

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm sure I can suss it out, but how hard is the rear beam to remove?
complicated task or more than easy for an average DIY'er?

cheers.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Fingers crossed aye Mike ;)

ive got the pure motorsport bearing and strengthening kit to go on, just considering dropping the beam out over the weekend when I remove the front arms aswell.

you kinda know me and possibly have an idea what I can achieve, rear beam a task you think I could achieve with ease?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, no worries mate. If you can competently fit front shocks, a rear beam drop is no worse..

Obviously it's a big heavy lump so could probably do with some extra hands to help.

Biggest PITA is bleeding the brakes afterwards IMO.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Am I right in thinking it's just 4 big bolts holding it on Mike? Not going to lie, when Ant did mine I was sitting around not paying much attention, lol.

Tbf, the way he did it was fairly unconventional, lol:

adubatyh.jpg

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
That's cool then, brakes need new fluid anyhow so that's no big drama, a task that comes with the package it would seem.

ill give it a go, broken fingers and achy back on the horizon!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Luke, that looks more like you were gutting the car anyhow.
i like your style ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
FLOL. Yep, basically. 4 big bolts either side. Lower shock bolts. Brake cAlipers off to save the handbrake cables. The headlight level sensor. Brake lines. Then it'll come out...

220 Trophy
Hey Kelv, great modification to make, really sharpens up the rear, don’t know if you're running one already but you wont want an additional ARB once you fitted the Pure bits. Also if you're running coil-overs you can cut the old spring platforms off. Obviously you know you cant powder-coat or paint it orange afterwards as I have that trade-Mark (get it!?). Have you fitted the Pure bearings and stiffening kit to the front? - if not get it done at the same time….

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Hey Mark.

ive got the AST's and Whiteline ARB on the Trophy at present, along with the pure top mounts.
im happy for a little trial and error with the rear ARB, if its no longer required I'm sure it will sell on with ease.
ive got the front wishbone kit but I've never fitted it, I'm just thinking if I got the car jacked up, I could drop the lot out over the weekend and give them to a mate ready for the welding work, and order the remaining rear bits on Monday.

ill leave you with your Trade-Mark, ill probably go a darker colour so it doesn't clash with the red.
the orange works well on yours ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nice and easy for the average diyer mate, try to get the car up as high as possible as its a lot easier.

220 Trophy
I spoke at length with Nick at Pure before deciding on the rear strengthening kit, he advised he thought it would give the equivalent of the Whiteline set at 3/4 's. You definitely wouldn't therefore then want to have both fitted!! Definitely have all done at the same time - the wishbones will need welding so have them done along with the beam, likewise have the bearings pressed in the wishbones at the same time as the beam and then get them painted at the same time (or should it be painted then bearings?), will save a huge amount of time, effort and money. As for colour, rather than darker why not go with something contrasting and non-OEM, like yellow or gold or copper, or even light-blue or white....?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Cheers guys, the challenge starts tonight.

Mark, don't throw idea's out there like that, my brain will be ticking all day now with possible colours ;)

220 Trophy
Ha ha, welcome to the world of Space Cadet!! God know how I hold this job down?! Very sad I know, but I even Googled "what colours go with red?" Silver obviously goes well but would look too OEM, it needs to be something contrasting and why not have a bit of fun as the powder/paint wont cost any more than boring black or silver. I personally think a light pastel-blue would look great, otherwise white. Just thought - while you have everything off would be a good time to clean up and paint the FARB and replace with some uprated poly bushes, also the track-rod ends and any other perishable cheap'ish bits while you have the wishbones and hubs/uprights (or whatever they're called) off. (I also had my hubs and a few other bits cleaned and painted but then it gets a bit OCD........)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Mark, I'm one step ahead of you on the other bits buddy, I already have the steering rack bushes, new steering arms and TRE's waiting to go on, along with new ball joints for the wishbones once powder coated.
i fully agree, anything perishable is going to be worth replacing at this stage, may aswell while its in bits and atleast I then know what's been renewed should I have any future hiccups.

light/baby blue could work, that's a good shout.

220 Trophy
Good to hear Kelv, it will feel like a new car after that lot! Baby blue would look ace with the red. Listen to us we're like automotive interior-designers.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I blame the misses, she's constantly talking of different colours to do the nursery, maybe I should suggest red and baby blue :)

220 Trophy
I think you said the other day it was going to be a boy therefore baby blue would be a good colour for the wishbones & beam on the basis that you may have some paint left over and you'll be able to do the window-sill & door, Bonza!

Lionel Richie
whatever you do DO NOT touch the brackets bolted through the floor! just undo the 2 horizontal bolts and slide them out (1 each side) MUCH easier!! You have to drop the tank a little bit, but that's easy!

330i. E30 Touring.
whatever you do DO NOT touch the brackets bolted through the floor! just undo the 2 horizontal bolts and slide them out (1 each side) MUCH easier!! You have to drop the tank a little bit, but that's easy!

For breAking, I always do these bolts. Much less likely to get rusted up

Cup In bits

+1

I got about 10mm worth of movement on the 6 axle cradle bolts then they locked solid, gave up on fitting new bolts and just tightened old up.

After you drop the tank the initial time to remove the the axle, chop the swivel bolt down and it will stop the need to drop the tank every time.

Clio 172 cup
So so wish I'd seen this thread before I started taking my rear beam off. Somewhat struggling with these 6 bolts

172 Track Car
Bit of thread resurrection. What's the best way to drop the tank? Are the visible bolts captive? The one just infront of the driver's side beam pick up is spinning...