ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brake Compensator missing ?

E39 M5
My 2002 Cup failed its first MOT a couple of weeks ago on this. I have now ordered the part from renault thinking that it would be £80 max to have fixed (Its only a 6 inch bolt with a sping on the end). I have now been told today that the Part is £80 and i am looking at £130 Labour + VAT. This is a little more than i would have thought...Am i being Shafted ? Also the car was only in the same dealers 2/3 weeks ago for its 24k service, Should this have been picked up ?

Thanks

Lee

BMW M2C
Classic, this came up a while ago.

The Cup doesn't have one, but some garages don't have a clue what they are doing.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
maddernj said:
My 2002 Cup failed its first MOT a couple of weeks ago on this. I have now ordered the part from renault thinking that it would be £80 max to have fixed (Its only a 6 inch bolt with a sping on the end). I have now been told today that the Part is £80 and i am looking at £130 Labour + VAT. This is a little more than i would have thought...Am i being Shafted ? Also the car was only in the same dealers 2/3 weeks ago for its 24k service, Should this have been picked up ?

Thanks

This is not ftted to the cup. Dont fit it...

E39 M5
Is anyone aware of a Dealership / Indy in the South East (Bromley Area) that is competant in the servicing or MOT testing of a 172 Clio Cup ?

Dirty E91
How can you fail an MOT on a part that isn;t even fitted to the car? Is it the Renault garage doing the MOT?

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
go to your local VOSA station and make a complaint against the kwik-fit dealer.

I'd personally take it back for the 'retest' and point out that it was never supposed to have one.

A few things I dont get though, cars with ABS dont have the valve - im surprised they checked for ABS. How could they order a part for a car, that doesnt even exist for that model? Last but not least, why were they even looking to see if the valve was there - its not part of the MOT afaik.

E39 M5
Well kwik fit were not sure if it was supposed to be there or not so failed it, But said if the dealer could give them a call then they would give me the MOT Cert (Fair Enough). Though i have now spoken to another Dealership who have told me that even if i was not there it should not have been failed as long as it still passed the rear brake test. Need a Cup friendly MOT test centre now ?? Anyone know of a competent one in the Bromley Area ?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
lol work for renault dealer lol we have three garages, a chap brought his cup in for a MOT pass no probs then went to another (non renault) garage for service and they said it was missing the Rear Brake Compensator and the bloke said it was in for MOT at renault and the other garage said it should have failed lol and phoned vosa who was down the renault dealer quicker then u could say renault clio 172 cup and they had to call renault technician down from london to varifiey to was not fitted what a sorry saga.

172 cup
Same thing happened to me with mine. Ther is no braking going to my rear wheels, but my rear discs are'nt rusty or anything so the brakes must be working right?

Remapped derv Golf
maddernj said:
Is anyone aware of a Dealership / Indy in the South East (Bromley Area) that is competant in the servicing or MOT testing of a 172 Clio Cup ?

Can't you take it to Masters of Beckenham for its MOT? They are a Renault garage so can't fail the mot because they made it.

Though I was the only Cup owner in this village!!!

E39 M5
They are the one's that want to fit the Compensator and told me that Kwik Fit were right to fail it...I have no Confidence in them at all (they serviced it @ 12k and did not fit the bolt in the sump back properly, I get home and All on the engines new oil is over the drive). Its strange, Masters in Orpington told me it should be fitted also, Yet Renault Coulsden told me it should not be there and that as long as it passed the Brake test then it should not have been failed anyway !! Not sure if i can be bothered to travel over to Coulson though for an MOT.

996 Carrera
Mine passed first time, though I had to have the rear pads replaced as braking efficiency was too low at the rear.

This was at Theale Motorworks, Berkshire. I had the 36k service done at the same time. They were pretty good apart from putting tyre pressures up to 45psi all round!

I was told at the 24k service (at Bridges Reading) that it was missing the brake compensator rod and that it'd cost +£200 to fit so didn't bother. Plus others on here had had the same story from other dealers and Renault had confirmed that it wasn't fitted from the factory.

As ever some dealers are clued up, others not.

E39 M5
Re: Rear Brake Compensator missing ? - Now Sorted

I have just had a nice call from a Lady at VOSA who has informed me that they have confirmation from there technical dept that it should have been passed as the part was not fitted from new. They are in the process of drawing up the paperwork to send out a notice to the Test Centres but until that time you can get your test centre to call on 0870 6060440 to confirm that all is okay. I also have a direct line if anybody needs it......