ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brakes lock up far too early

Ph1 track 172
When i brake hard, the rear brakes lock up long before the fronts.

The fronts are only half on and the rears will lock up, causing the back to become very unstable under hard braking.

ive had to remove what looks like a load bearing valve from the back because of the lowness, and the rears stripped out but its still locking up
:(

the load bearing valve thingy was in for a while when the car was quite low, so think perhaps its fubared, but is there anything else i can do to reduce the rear braking??

or even turn it off all together, theyre only drums!

Please help me :(

there'll be a valve or valves in the rear lines from the master cylinder which reduce the hydraulic effort in the rear brakes - otherwise you'll end up with locking rears (fronts do most of the work)

on the 1*2s, it's a block over the rear axle which also acts as the load sensing valve

Ph1 track 172
thats possibly the same on the 1.2s
theres a spring on the rear axle that pushed up on a level thats connected to a block in the lines going in and back out again.

I assumed the lower the car was, the more the lever would be pushed up, increasing the performance of the rear brakes (assuming the height of the car is due to weight)

is this not correct? or is there another thing it does also??
if so....what??

cheers

sounds like the same block; if so, you need to put it back on; or fit an adjustable bias valve, or some inline compensator valves (potentially tricky as you'd need info about the valving)

Ph1 track 172
I havnt taken the whole thing out,
just the pin that connects it to the rear axle, its assuming my car is far to heavy when it's infact very light lol, might have to give the lever a yank and see if its just jammed up