ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Caliper, winding the piston in..

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Can I wind the piston in with the disk still on? Is it easy? I dont have a 30mm socket to get the disk off, but the rubber seal has split so the rear nearside is binding really badly.

330i. E30 Touring.
If you take the pads out and the pad carrier off, you should be able to, yeah.

Might be quite fiddly though..

don't need to take disc or carrier off; it might be quite stiff if the dust seal's gone - should rebuild it, really

don't know, although, for the effort involved in rebuilding them to a decent standard, i'd just buy a reconditioned one (or two). haven't used them, but have seen recommendations on here of a company called bigred, who do seal kits for £20ish, or pair of rear calipers for about £100 (which'll be nice and shiny, and warrantee'd)

ph1 black 172
i have just done this job tonite on the nearside rear.

its far easier to remove the disc unless you are willing to remove the caliper completely, as you are limited for movement with the brake pipe and handbrake cable attached.(this is if you want to clean it out and re-grease)

the caliper is clockwise to wind it in. but unless you are changing the pads you should be ok and not need to move it.

if i were you i would go and buy a 30mm socket and a caliper winding in tool. will cost you about £10ish for the two.

i have cleaned mine as it was sticking but now is good. the caliper carrier nut is 17mm, the caliper to hub nut is 18mm. thats about it

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I undid the bolts on the caliper and pulled it away to wind the piston in and its done the job, however I think the rubber seal is that bad that its not even gonna work as a temporary fix anymore :(