ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear seat removal

hi guys ,can anyone help.

i getting pissed off every time i need to carry something large in my boot, the backrest gets all mashed up by the seat-belt buckles things that are bolted to the seat floor. i can remove the seat bases dead easy (as per manual) but how do you get the backs out? the sides have a quick release mechanism but what about the centre joining the two halfs? mine are bolted together, are everyones like this?

anyhelp please !

Williams 2, STi N12

Without actually having a 172 myself, I would of thought there is some release mechanism at the side of the backrests where they mount to the car, either be it by bolt or a release lever. The centre split should have a bar that runs the full length of the seat so this should be OK.

Hope that helps

sorry maybe i wasnt clear enough. i can remove the bases without a hitch but then i go to the backrest,i remove head rests(all three) press the two buttons at either end of the seat to fold the them flat.when they fold flat they sit on top of the seat belt buckles damaging the seat.not good.

there is a bar that runs the width of the car in a plastic cover that the backrest hinges on. ive f**ked around with this and found two quick release mechanisms at each end which release the backrest ends.still with me?

the bit i need to know about is the join between the backrest halfs?mines bolted to the bar and the backrest.theres no mention in the handbook about said bar! anyone?

Ok mate, I can help you here :D

To remove the back seats:

1: Remove the carpet from the boot.

2: Now remove the black plastic covered bar which runs side to side behind the back seats at the bottom, just two (pretty big) bolts hold this down, now remove this.

3: You will now see a bolt at the 60/40 split, undo this a bit (you dont have to remove it, only loosen it somewhat).

4:Release the outer edges of the seats as you have done so far, and slide the bottom middle bracket of the seats toward the front of the car away from the bolt you just loosened.

Voila! the backs of the back seats removed!. Now you can split the back which does make it easier to carry, this only involves two bolts which hold the hinged plates together in the middle, but it can be fiddly.

Hope this helps Grant :)