ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear spring help please!

Silver Clio 172 Cup
OK - I'm trying to fit sportlines to my 172 cup. It's all standard at the moment. I Started with the rear because that's easiest. Followed the fubar guide to the letter but I can't get the rear beam to drop down far enough to get the springs out. I tried loosening the top mounts for the dampers as well but that didn't help.

I'm stuck - any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Tom

Undo the bolts which hold the rear shocks in place to the rear suspension under the car and the rear drops. If it doesn't giver it a bit of a push and it will go down.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
you have to have the car surpored on stand and undo both sides to get the springs out make sure you surport the beam though with a trolley jack or something.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Have unbolted the damper most of the way but not fully (as on fubar's guide). So do I need to unbolt it fully? If I do then is it easy enough to bolt back together?

Cheers

Have unbolted the damper most of the way but not fully (as on fubar's guide). So do I need to unbolt it fully? If I do then is it easy enough to bolt back together?

Cheers

No idea what his guides like but there one 17mm bolt on the bottom of each damper attaching it to the rear arm just unbolt that fully on both sides the the whole rear axle drops (again might need to give it a bit of a push) then fit the springs. Then lower the car so the rear dampers bolts are in the right postion to bolt them up to the rear suspenson and bolt them up.

Rears are dead simple to do.

Lionel Richie
HOW MANY TIMES!!!! they're 18mm edde, you should know that by now!!! ;)

undo and REMOVE the rear lower shock bolt on both sides (18MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

jack up rear of car on sills (plenty stong enough)

rear beam will drop

rear spring will fall out

easy peasy, if it takes more than 20min, you've cocked up big time

Lots of Alfas
HOW MANY TIMES!!!! they're 18mm edde, you should know that by now!!! ;)

undo and REMOVE the rear lower shock bolt on both sides (18MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

jack up rear of car on sills (plenty stong enough)

rear beam will drop

rear spring will fall out

easy peasy, if it takes more than 20min, you've c**ked up big time

As above, the rear spring should just lift out from the bottom of the spring, grab it with both hands and pull it towards you.