ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear suspension failure

182 clio sport
hi,
i have a 54 plate clio 182 that has a suspension problem.
The drivers side shock is covered in fluid, I suspect it is shot (without removing it)
Although car is under warrenty I have been informed that suspension isn't covered (dampers) as they are liable to "wear and tear" even though car has only done 22K, even worse I have only had the car 6 months!!!!!
I am still fighting the issue with the dealer and renault UK.
However... what are the best options and prices for replacement rear shocks.
I am running a full standard car and money is a problem.

cheers

keep arguing the case with Customer services at Renault GB. Its a common fault so they should really replace it. A few people on here have had theirs replaced despite being initially told they wouldnt be covered.

IIRC a standard OE shock is about £50. Suspension kits start at about £400ish and go all the way upto £1300 for the expensive coilovers kits. Depends on what your budget is really.

182 clio sport
Budget is really limited as baby on the way!!
I will give them hell, and get it sorted hopefully.
thanks for the info

If you are skint and cant get them to pay up you may as well just replace the faulty OE shock with a standard one. You'll only end up raising the insurance as well as spending several hundred on a kit. Dont pay Renault to fit it if they wont cover it though it literally takes 2minutes to replace a rear shock.

The dealer will not replace it for you unless they pay for it out of there goodwill. Reanult Dealers use a net based system called ICM. This enables them to check components on your car to see if renault will pay for them. If renault argree a 100% contribution then all well and dandy.

As you car is in its last year of warrenty not everything is covered that was covered in the prevous 2 years.

If renault tell the dealer it is 100% customer contribution then they are not going to pay a dime - you wouldn't would you lol

It is up to you to try to get RUK to pay the dealer to supply and fit the new part!!

HTH

Shaun

182 clio sport
I have been on to the dealer today,
Did a bit of smooth talking, they have assured me that they are getting part and will take care of it.
I guess I wont really know the score till Thursday when I take it in.
However, I will be giving it my best efforts as I dont really want to pay.

thanks for the info

ITB BG 182
Good luck mate i argued for months an in the end i had to replace the damm rear shocks myself and still now im tryin to get them to just foot the bill.

Renaultsport 220T
At least if they are fitting OE parts, it will be covered for 12 months, so when it fails again, as it is likely to, they have to replace it free.

Make sure they replace both rears.

tiTTy & SV650
I've had 5 replacement rear shocks under warranty since buying the car in June 04, but all have been less than 12 months old when replaced and the car was under 12 months old when it first happened.

So they couldn't argue wear and tear in my case, it's a design problem as so many people have had it happen. They might pay as a goodwill jesture in your case but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Good luck!

The dealer will not replace it for you unless they pay for it out of there goodwill. Reanult Dealers use a net based system called ICM. This enables them to check components on your car to see if renault will pay for them. If renault argree a 100% contribution then all well and dandy.

As you car is in its last year of warrenty not everything is covered that was covered in the prevous 2 years.

If renault tell the dealer it is 100% customer contribution then they are not going to pay a dime - you wouldn't would you lol

It is up to you to try to get RUK to pay the dealer to supply and fit the new part!!

HTH

Shaun
If a car has a 3 year warranty thats what it should mean, it's covered for 3 years (obviously within the mileage limit)
How dare they say certain things are not covered after 2 years, surely this is blatant disregard of trading standards.

182 clio sport
Hi,

Thanks for all the input.

Basically the ICM Computer system says No......

Which was mentioned previously. Read 16v Shauns comments they are bang on....

I also agree 3 years warranty should be 3 years. It appears that shocks get only one year..

Hold my breath didnt work, my face just went all red, and felt a bit faint, perhaps that just came on after they told me how much it was and the cost of fitting!! LOL

However after some serious jumping up and down I got a new shock...

Now for the bad bit...

I had to pay for it but it was fitted free by Renault. A compromise I suppose and it saved me getting my hands dirty and my spanners out.
And it is cover for a year..

I intend to take the matter further with RUK.

If there is a design fault with these why havent they been recalled as a matter of safety... or re-designed.. or upgraded for the Sport?

After all they are a major requirement for an MOT, and the point of an MOT is to ensure your car is safe and road worthy..

Perhaps it will as with most large companies.. It take an accident or something to make them see sense.

I will keep you posted on the outcome

Be careful about the 12 month guarantee, parts fitted under warrenty are only usually guaranteed for the remainder of the cars warrenty. Might be different as you have paid for the part tho.

I totally agree about the 2 years. If you read the warrenty booklet it does state you get 2 years manufacturers and 1 years dealer support warrenty. It is full of clauses that even exclude certain components even after 6 months.

I work for a Renault owned dealer and get this problem all the time!

TBH though you should get a contribution if not full payement off CS because of the mileage of the car.

One other thing to watch out for aswell it that CS tend to not pay for work on cars that have done very little mileage over a long period. Had a customer who complained of brake squeal on a 2005 megane and it was down to corrosion on discs. CS wouldn't pay for new discs/pads as she had done very limited mileage and they conlcluded it was lack of use. Im sure that they would have paid for the work on the same car if it had done more miles over the same period.

If you have any other probs let me know

Shaun

impreza sti prodrive
they wouldnt replace mine. mine didnt go soft either it went solid.
& it went on a corner & ended up ditching it but they would have nowt to do with it. i can get origional cup damper for £35.00 each from my local dealer stockist. mine went at 24k...