ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel sticks out more after a rear beam change

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The right wheel sticks out a bit more than the left! It's only by about 1mm but we both noticed it. Quite annoying.

Swapped the wheels over and its still there so its not the wheels. Used the same stub axles as the one that was provided with the new beam. Stub axle spacers the same. The rear beam lined up perfectly with the carrier holes so don't think that's bent.

The ONLY thing that is different from left to right is I used the new beams disc on the right. And my old one on the left. Would a mismatched disc really have that different tolerances? Pics below. Hard to get pics of it.

27679142731_94dab29ee1_b.jpg
20160618_201352 by dann2707, on Flickr

27475487050_299c0c8f4d_b.jpg
20160618_201343 by dann2707, on Flickr

27753878105_e19da30527_b.jpg
20160618_201413 by dann2707, on Flickr

27679144981_688b54a82d_b.jpg
20160618_201404 by dann2707, on Flickr

Any ideas? Discs are different so im thinking its that but would that really make that much of a diff?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'd genuinely be surprised if the disc is the cause of the problem, but it's a possibility. You'll only know the answer to that one my swapping the discs around.

It could just need the location points adjusting though.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'd genuinely be surprised if the disc is the cause of the problem, but it's a possibility. You'll only know the answer to that one my swapping the discs around.

It could just need the location points adjusting though.
Thanks for the reply mate. By location points do you mean the bracket with the 3 bolts on either side that the rear beam slides into?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate that's the ones. Lubricate the living s**t out of them before you try and loosen them, otherwise they'll spin and you'll make your life miserable!!
Haha we had that problem before on Tobys car. Ended up having to cut one of them. Will inspect tomorrow. It just doesn't make sense in my head as the beam lined up perfectly when we refitted it. If that had moved im thinking it would have been a pig to line up again.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha we had that problem before on Tobys car. Ended up having to cut one of them. Will inspect tomorrow. It just doesn't make sense in my head as the beam lined up perfectly when we refitted it. If that had moved im thinking it would have been a pig to line up again.
It's more a case of that not all cars are the same mate tbh, so the location points can be in a different position slightly. If you look at the alignment spec for the rear end of one of these cars, you'll see what I mean. The tolerances are f**king ridiculous. Lol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It's more a case of that not all cars are the same mate tbh, so the location points can be in a different position slightly. If you look at the alignment spec for the rear end of one of these cars, you'll see what I mean. The tolerances are f**king ridiculous. Lol
Thank you.

So do you think loosening those bolts, then sliding it left a bit might resolve it?

Clio 182
It was a pointless post thinking about it.
What I meant by it was are you really sure you can see 1mm.

Best to put it on a hunter machine and see what that tells you regarding the geometry.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'd say it was more than 1mm tbh, as it's literally scrubbing on the rear bumper under the arch. Such a ball ache after a long day replacing everything else haha

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just a quick one what's the rear beam off?

I think the stub axles are a different thickness on a 182 FF but I doubt it would cause it to scrub.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
the best thing to do is to weld a small tack on the bolt head under the seat, then heat the nut before you try to undo them or most of the time they spin, then its not so easy to tighten them, i just removed two beams a few weeks ago and the above method made it easy, good luck