ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 wandering about on the road - SOLVED!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Thought this was worth posting this just because I've never seen a lot of people mention it before.

I've slowly been refreshing my 197 over the last year, I stuck new genuine 200 cup dampers and springs on it, changed all the ARB bushes, put a pair of drop links on it, and a set of pilot sport 4's. It seemed the sharper I made the chassis feel the more I was noticing an issue with the car wandering about the road, not massively but just enough that something didn't feel right. While I had the engine out for the belts and gearbox rebuild, I decided to stick a brand new 200 cup rack on it, since it's a slightly quicker rack and they are reasonably good value considering they come with track rods and track rod ends. - Mine had been picked up at a previous MOT for play in the track rods.

Again after fitting the rack i now tightened up the chassis which made the issue even more apparent, really all i had left to worry about was the bottom arms i thought?

Speaking to @aldo_87 he was having the exact same issue with his Megane 250, and he had a set of Anti rotation links to change to try that, makes sense in your head when you think it stops the entire hub carrier from moving....

We removed his and found they felt absolutely fine, in fact if it was a drop link I would happily have re fitted it to my car. We changed them anyway and he took it for a road test and confirmed the car feels like a new car!

I ordered a set for my 197 (fairly cheap at £26 for the pair! HERE) and today jacked the car up, again confirmed by pulling with all my strength at the wheel that there was no sign of any movement or play - Removed the links and as per the Megane, they felt almost identical to the new ones, one of the ball joints on the drivers one VERY slightly easier to move than the other 3. Fitted them and road tested...

ITS LIKE A NEW CAR! I can't believe the difference in it.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Good result! It's mad when you think that one little link rod is stopping the whole hub from flapping about in relation to the wishbone!

Hope I don't have to do the balljoint ever. They look like sh!te fun.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm for the price I think I'll try some new anti rotation links. This is the only thread I've found anywhere that has the issue I'm experiencing. 🤞