ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend a non SLR digital camera.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent non SLR camera. Must be something that can fit into the birds bag without her moaning.

We currently have a Lumix DMC-FS10

Thanks.

My missus has the new Canon IXUS and loves it. Awesome camera TBF and it comes in a bunch of girly colours.

Actually, that was the main selling point for her... "I like the purple one". The fact that it's an awesome camera doesn't really register with her...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How much do you want to spend? My missus has this http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-SX220-HS

Think you can get it now for about £160 now. Cracking little camera, fits in her handbag (then again, a DSLR would fit in too!) Good image quality and the battery life is pretty decent too.

Some images from a quick Flickr search, saves me uploading any of hers.

5616036651_f127d63143_z.jpg

SX220 Sample Photo: Night Shot 3 by garryknight, on Flickr

5649799419_51b424aff6_z.jpg

5547203051_ccdca15213.jpg

Oh yeah, it come's in Purple, Silver or Black.

It also has full auto modes as well as manual exposure, shutter priority etc that you would find on a DSLR and some 'fun' modes such as fisheye, selected colour etc.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I bought the mrs one of the new Nikon Coolpix things to take to the lake district. She loves it, and it has different colour modes etc so you can get photos looking how you want pretty easily.

I was really impressed at the quality of the pictures from such a small camera too.

I know it's a lot of money, probably same price as one above, but the canon s100 is superb. Bigger sensor than
most compacts, full manual controls and impressive features. Just google the reviews.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Right I have a friend wo runs Pc world/ Currys and can get me a super duper discount.

SamP based on their website what compact would you get? Thanks mate

Last edited:
  2.2 bar shed.
G12 isnt really pocketable. If you want lots of zoom then get one of the many 20x's ones out there. Personally I dont see the point, as the S100 for example goes from fairly wide to short telephoto which will be 95% of your needs. If you're missing on the short end then you can always stich panaroma's together or crop at the long end as you've got a bit more on the megapickle side. S100 or a second hand S95 would be my choice.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...ras/compact-cameras/canon-s100-1040081/review

Cant find it on the PC world website?

Or if you're feeling a bit leftfield the Fuji X10 is an amazing compact.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...mpact-cameras/fuji-finepix-x10-1045190/review

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/fujif...th-28-112mm-zoom-lens-black-11532097-pdt.html

Given the lack of S100 on the PC world website I'd get the X10.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I got a Panasonic TZ8 when I was looking in August last year and really can't fault it, great zoom on it, optical and digital great HD video and really easy to use quickly..

Audi A3
i actually got her a d500. got good reviews as a good bridge camera from memory. hardly used and she wants to sell it!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Whats your budget/what you gonna use it for?

about £350 tops really. Has to be from PC World/ Currys.

General holiday/ moving into the better shot market than the s**t that goes on FB. I have a few good holidays lined up where i want to get some good snaps.

2.2 bar shed.
You might be able to get an EP1 and kit lens with that money now on TP second hand?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
S100 or S95 (Amazon were knocking them out cheaper not too long ago) are a good shout, as is an Olympus ZX-1 (or it's replacement if there is one) or a Panasonix LX-5.

It has to be an S95 for that money I think.
I've seen some amazing shots taken on them around various forums and I'm thinking of getting one for when I can't be arsed carting the DSLR around with me!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

It has to be an S95 for that money I think.
I've seen some amazing shots taken on them around various forums and I'm thinking of getting one for when I can't be arsed carting the DSLR around with me!

Guys only from Currys please? THe S95 and S100 are not stocked by them

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Went to get the X10 and they didn't have any in stock. They will get some in today though.

They showed me the G12 too. Is that any good?

My only concern with the X10 is the zoom ability. I really wanted to increase the zoom but this one doesn't zoom very much!!

Bus w**ker
I'd personally go for the G12 over the X10, although it is quite a bit larger and way over your budget. Still for your needs I say TZ30.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I'd personally go for the G12 over the X10, although it is quite a bit larger and way over your budget. Still for your needs I say TZ30.

I looked at the TZ30 and for the £330 price tag believe it or not the sales person said it was a gimmick compared to its little sister for £150 which almost does the exact same job. lol. Awesome guy.

Bus w**ker
What's a gimmick? The touch screen, fair play? But the rest of the spec is far superior to pretty much all other P&S units within that price scale, form factor and market level.

If you tell me you took the advice of some pleb in Jessops over me I'm gonna drive down to Guildford and beat the living s**t out of you.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
What's a gimmick? The touch screen, fair play? But the rest of the spec is far superior to pretty much all other P&S units within that price scale, form factor and market level.

If you tell me you took the advice of some pleb in Jessops over me I'm gonna drive down to Guildford and beat the living s**t out of you.

HAHA I think i remember you trying to hit me whilst we were in France. Didn't YOU end up on your arse?

Anyway he's a member of the Surrey photography club and seemed to know what he was on about.

2.2 bar shed.
G12's a pretty decent camera, you'd be pretty happy with either tbh. I wouldnt worry about the zoom range too much, are you really going to be using some massive zoom constantly? Worst case you can crop the images from the X10 smaller and get the same sort of image/zoom you'd get from a superzoom compact with a smaller sensor. G12 has a similar zoom range to the X10 as well iirc.

Bus w**ker
HAHA I think i remember you trying to hit me whilst we were in France. Didn't YOU end up on your arse?

Anyway he's a member of the Surrey photography club and seemed to know what he was on about.

LOL when was that? Was I drunk or on my snowboard or both?

Was he a Jessops employee?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I know lots of you will snigger at my decision but FOR ME it felt right.

I'm very new to photography so something to technical will just put me off.

The two choices i shortlisted was
Nikon 1 J1
Olympus E-PL3

I got the epl3. Got home and it just didn't feel right. For me it felt like i had to do lots to just take a picture. Also it didn't feel great too hold.

Took it back this morning and replaced it with the Nikon. It feels much better. Great quality pictures with the simplicity feel.

Looking forward to learning this new hobby