ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Red stuff in coolant bottle

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Basically.. what is it? And why is it there?

The bottle is pressurised when hot, and after a while sitting/cooling down the pressure goes away itself so I've been told it's not the head gasket. Temperature is normal and has been since I've owned the car.

zysynesu.jpg
panyze3y.jpg
umegenar.jpg
syretu4a.jpg

172 cup running throttle bodies if it matters.
MG cup ?

Thanks.

Cup In bits
Looks like rust to me Liam, I did tell you to change the coolant when I sold you it in our WA convo's...... I only put water in it initially to check for leaks and a track day and never got around to changing it.

Anti freeze has corrosion inhibitors in it. Drain the coolant and get some type d in there, should be areet.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah s**t.. I have obviously completely forgotten you had said that. I've got a new bottle of type D here so ill get it drained/flushed and refilled then.

Oops

Cup In bits
Silly boy ;)

The bottle will probably never come back to clear again but while your doing it, stick it through a dishwasher or put in some denture cleaning tabs. Also pull the top and bottom radiator hoses and flush water from the harden hose through the top radiator hose around the engine and out the bottom hose, do the same with the radiator otherwise the rust/scale will just cloud up your fresh new coolant.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok cheers Morgan. Need to change the power steering pump at the weekend so ill do the coolant while I'm at it!

Thanks