ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Redline when raggin it ?

Shed.
Well, when you rag the car is it ok, safe, and should you, red line the car in every gear before shifting.

Ive started going from 6k and then a change, to letting it redline and then shift. Nothing i should worry about is there ? it only bounces about 3times before the shift so i shouldnt blow my head gasket ?

im a noob. dont laugh ! ;)

FF cupped Arctic 182
Well, when you rag the car is it ok, safe, and should you, red line the car in every gear before shifting.

Ive started going from 6k and then a change, to letting it redline and then shift. Nothing i should worry about is there ? it only bounces about 3times before the shift so i shouldnt blow my head gasket ?

im a noob. dont laugh ! ;)

:nono: Reading that made me cringe.....LOL

Remind me NEVER to buy a car from you! ;)

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
bouncing enough times especially in a mk1 is bound to blow something i'd recommend shifting just b4 the red line as you have to go into the red to bounce in ur mk1? right?

basicly dont redline it all the time as you will kill your car fast

P

Paul Common 666

If your driving hard then you wanna change gear just before the limiter. Bouncing off it is losing you time!
The limiter is there so you dont do damage to the engine by over reving etc. Whenever your driving any car hard your wearing it out quicker. But as long as your not driving around on limiter everywhere its fine. Its good to stretch there legs every so often! ;)

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
If you hit the limiter or the red line you have gone past the optimum time to change gear.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You don't mean redlining it? you mean bouncing of the limiter, no need,

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
peak power is normally well below peak revs, try changing about 500 revs under it and never bounce unless you arse up the change

Leon Cupra R 225
- Don't rag a 1.2, you'll get called horrible names on here.
- Your name is michael'172' BUT you have an avatar pic of a Williams and you actually have a 1.2...:S

you confuse me!

Integra Type-R DC2
I usualy change at 4000 when im giving it the beans. Id be scared to go much higher, generally becasue I cant afford to replace my engine lol.

MINI Cooper S
usually best to change gear about 1k revs before the redline. ive found on my 1.2 changing about 5000 - 5200 gives the best gear change as anything after that and it goes flat and slows you down even more.

BMW M135i
Peak power on the 1.2 16v is 5.5k so I used to change just after that, the last few courtesy cars I had were driven in "drive it like you stole it" mode so plenty of limiter there. Wouldn't dream of doing it in my own car, limiter action is reserved to courtesy/hire cars.

PMSL at this thread.
Do you bounce it off the limiter when its stone cold in McDonalds car park, the ladies love it lol.
bmh.01 gives sound advice, i ve only hit the limiter a handful of times in mine, no point taking it above 5.5k really and in this hot weather mines slow as fek.

Shed.
- Don't rag a 1.2, you'll get called horrible names on here.
- Your name is michael'172' BUT you have an avatar pic of a Williams and you actually have a 1.2...:S

you confuse me!

tried getting ym sigs below the maximum kb range. couldnt do it.

Wilky the 1.2 is s**t i do realise that you know lol. i dont get offended when people have a dig at me or whatever. Tbh i only started doing it the other night. usually shift, when i rag it, at about 5-5.5k mebeh 6 when i feel like it. very rarely take it to 6250 anyways.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
i know i only drive a golf, but dont hink ive ever hit the limiter, slows you down way too much,

Shed.
PMSL at this thread.
Do you bounce it off the limiter when its stone cold in McDonalds car park, the ladies love it lol.
bmh.01 gives sound advice, i ve only hit the limiter a handful of times in mine, no point taking it above 5.5k really and in this hot weather mines slow as fek.

no.the 1.2 16v engine sounds horrible in clios. Ive never heard such a bag of metal shite. which is why i dont sit in the carpark bouncing revs. Im talking about shifting it before it cuts out, whilst moving.

PMSL at this thread.

no.the 1.2 16v engine sounds horrible in clios. Ive never heard such a bag of metal s**te.
Try listening to a Ford Ka, skeleton masturbating in a filing cabinet!
which is why i dont sit in the carpark bouncing revs.

So you would if it sounded all right!

pmsl @ this thread - so basically what your saying Michael172 (who hasn't got a 172) is that you drive round like that all time ??

Shed.
no.the 1.2 16v engine sounds horrible in clios. Ive never heard such a bag of metal s**te.
Try listening to a Ford Ka, skeleton masturbating in a filing cabinet!
which is why i dont sit in the carpark bouncing revs.

So you would if it sounded all right!

ssshhhhhh.

nah. I do it sometimes with my dad's colt on ym drive way but onyl because its secluded and theres no one about. The colt does have a good sounding engine and also a zorst to go. it does sound good though.

Mk2 172
bouncing it off the limiter will do no damage. thats what its there for!
Its rubbish. But at the same time its a complete waste of time as the power curve tailed off way before the limiter and your just goin slower than you would by changing gear! 6500 or something like that would be far more realistic time to change gear.

P

Paul Common 666

bouncing it off the limiter will do no damage. thats what its there for!
Its rubbish. But at the same time its a complete waste of time as the power curve tailed off way before the limiter and your just goin slower than you would by changing gear! 6500 or something like that would be far more realistic time to change gear.

so what is it there for?! :S

Last edited by a moderator:
  FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Whats the difference between this guy changing near the red line in his 1.2 and you doing it in your 1*2? Make the most of what you have.

LY 200
Put a pike in the engine!!! :rolleyes:

The redline is there to stop harm to the engine however if you keep hitting it then its not going to do any good especially to a car that wasnt designed to be 'ragged'!!!

By the way, why are you 'ragging' a 1.2 about you clog?? I bet your every 15 year old in Hulls idol arnt you!?

P

Paul Common 666

The redline is there to stop harm to the engine however if you keep hitting it then its not going to do any good especially to a car that wasnt designed to be 'ragged'!!!

By the way, why are you 'ragging' a 1.2 about you clog?? I bet your every 15 year old in Hulls idol arnt you!?

Thats exactly what i was trying to say!

Clio 182 Trophy
I'm sorry, why can't you use all the performance of the car you drive? I think you'll find that a thrashed 1.2 is going to accelerate up to the speed limit no faster than a fairly mundanely-driven 172/182. Why have a 1.2 and then only use the first 2500rpm? You may as well drive an 800cc Clio. I don't know how much power they have, but let's call it 75bhp, which was produced at, I think I read, 6250rpm. Change up every time at 2500rpm and you're going to be producing a maximum power figure of what... I don't know, 40-50bhp? Bloody pointless; use whatever it takes to make decent progress. In a 1.2 Clio that means using much more of the rev range than the diesel 5 Series behind you.

Hitting the limiter won't do any harm to your engine (it's present to stop the engine revving too quickly), but it's not exactly beneficial to maximum forward motion, which is usually what you're after that far up the rev range.

Don't do it through town centres, though - that's just silly.

Shed.

How many people who have a 1.2L on these forums drives it to 2500rpm ?

I drive sensibly most of the time, but ffs is it wrong to take a car round the back roads and floor it ? i bet 90% of you b******s do it. 1.2 or 1*2, its still fun to go and boot it down the country roads.

Maybe the phrase "ragging" came out the wrong way.

In all honesty i only started doing it the other day, once or twice and thats all. I usually take it to no more than 6k when i try and boot it.

I dont speed in built up areas, let alone towns.

Shed.
thrash it so hard that it blows up then you can buy my car quicker! lol

well wash your car PROPERLY and take a load of pics and i just might buy yours if its in ok condition. Just so you know. I get paid tomorrow, and i will have saved a grand. hell if i wanted i could sell my car, wait another month till i got paid again and then buy yours !

I dont have a clue what your car look like under that mud ! ;)