ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbishing Wipers

One Phat Clio
My car is 8 years old and basically the wipers have faded in colour there no longer black they appear grey :dapprove: So the plan is to take them off and give them three coats of MATT BLACK spray paint. However, im unsure whether to apply a gloss black spray paint afterwards.

In your opinion, please could you state whether you'd just use MATT BLACK spray paint or use GLOSS BLACK after MATT BLACK application.

(£6.99 from halfords - Both spray cans)

Cheers!!! :)

One Phat Clio
Brillient, Well question answered, Thanks.

How many coats would you recommend? Ive been told three coats - whether thats enough i havn't a clue.

Cheers

330i. E30 Touring.
Pretty much:

Halfords satin black (about £6-7 from memory).
Get some fine-ish wet and dry and take the shine off the old wipers.
Then, 2-3-4 coats, depending on how the coverage looks.

It's always better to put the coats as thin as possible, and have more of them. The last thing you want is the paint running.

One Phat Clio
Sounds good! Right off i go to halfords, if i get round to it ill post a photo to show the results before and after (Could help other new comers?)

Cheeeeeeeers

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
i've been using Satin black paint for engine bits, does look nice. 'Trade Spray' from APD, £5 a can. there is primer as well which might be worth getting.

I presume you mean the arms, and if so, would it not be cheaper and less hassel to buy new/newer used ones? The paint will eventually chip off and look 1000 times worse . . . ?

One Phat Clio
Well at £4 a can ill try my luck, in the future i can always replace :) i Ended up giving it 6 thin sensible coats after a good thorough sanding with the fine wet&dry. The condition they were orginally in were "Faded" so topping it up with a few thin layers cant e anything but positive till a few years?

Depends pal, but sounds good. I would just be worried about any DIY spraying of parts on the front of the car, i.e. stone chips :(

One Phat Clio
Yeah, i wouldnt dare do paint work to the actual body of the car, but the wiper arms along with the new wiper blades i bought Retro style i thought yeah this could be an improvement, plus i may buy another can seen as though its only £4 a go and spray the RS Grille i bought. On purchase it appears more navy blue/black rather than just black. Some other lads on the forums have sprayed theirs so i guess that could be addressed!!! we'll see :)

I just use autoglym bumper care or whatever its called, makes them black and water repellent for a while.

One Phat Clio
Thanks H182, A few coats of the Satin black seems to be working and made a difference looks tidy, going to do the grill make the front end look more dark and black.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I think a bit of satin black will do fine, make sure you let them harden before putting them back on (if you take them off that is)

The wipers don't take that much punishment really, and for the price of a can, you can't go wrong.

I'll be doing this to mine some time in the next few weeks, front ones have serious lacquer peel and look horrific.