ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "I'll leave it alone...." Project 197

2007 Clio 197
Hello everyone,

I recently posted up about my 197 that I picked up last week. My intention was to leave it as is. However, after finding one or two little bits im not happy with I have decided to start a project-esk thread to track progress.

So firstly, A few pictures.
plCKPH8ej.jpg

pm91FVw5j.jpg

plDVBipVj.jpg

A couple parked up beside a friends Megane rs225.

So the first thing that was needed urgently was an oil change, the megane was also needing one pretty urgently so on Thursday night we got to it.
I discovered quickly that my Trolley Jack would not go under the car with the skirts on it....
pof9Wu7ij.jpg

So up on some slabs it went! and problem solved!

And just like that the oil was changed!

Next on the list of jobs for me was to get the diffuser off and I must say that this car is such a pleasure to work on. In comparison to my old mk2 1.2 clio and my current mk3 megane coupe, this seems to be built properly without the overengineering that has gone into some of the newer models.

4 bolts later and a good pull and the diffuser was off!
pmJBKZeYj.jpg

The reason for this coming off was that the scorpion exhaust that was fitted by the previous owner had been touching the diffuser and as such was causing a lot of rattling which was starting to get on my nerves.
When I took it off, I noticed that part of the diffuser had actually melted due to the exhaust tip sitting against it ! :|
So I adjusted the rear hanger (With the use of an old socket and some zip ties) and its now sitting good!

So my plans for today were to get the car finally into the garage and then do a bit more work on the car.
So first thing this morning I was up gutting the last of the Crap out. 2 trips to the tip later it was done.

Unfortunatly then the rain came on pretty heavy. So most of the plans for the day were put on hold. However I did manage to reverse the car half into the garage and get the diffuser off and cleaned (Going to prime and spray it soon) as well as getting the Front grille's off to allow them to also be primed and sprayed due to them being incredibly faded.

pnjW3pqTj.jpg

This made a massive difference for me. In the past I would have been lying on the ground in the pouring rain. Not fun at all.

It's good to have an area like this to work on cars :tongueout:

And that was me for the day!

poMHa7Hej.jpg

All tucked up :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Future plans:

• New Rear brake discs (Looking for advice on this)
  • LED interior Lights
  • Badges redone in black.
  • Paint calipers (Black, yellow or red)
  • Rewire existing radio / speaker setup so it actually all works as the AUX input is currently iffy. :poo:
  • Repaint the interior dash trims as they are pretty badly worn.
  • Potentially have the defusser painted gloss black
  • Potentially fit better / new seats
  • Potentially strip the back out and replace with a Ktec liner
  • Potentially front upper and lower bracing as well as rear bracing
  • Potentially Wrap the roof black......

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Ktec black edition front and rear discs
Carbon Lorraine CL5+ pads
KW v3 or clubsports
Ultra racing struts

And some decent rubber.
I wouldn't bother with stripping it.
Remap at RS tuning too if you can afford it :)

2007 Clio 197
Thanks man! The ktr discs are a definite for the rear. The front brembos are new so I will wait untill they are worn!

A remap may be on the table. Get the most out of the car!

I'm jelous of the ly. Always been a sicker for them.

Bit of an update for today! I managed to get the painted exterior parts fitted and found a rather bodge auxiliary wiring job.

13731879_10208793802515107_5738487610622910974_o.jpg

13679928_10208793802395104_162941226451449894_o.jpg

This seems to be the cause of the auxiliary issue. So need to sort this asap!
13719478_10208795276191948_8991866287627238965_o.jpg

More to follow!

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Get yourself a RS tune point there is some that make an appearance on EBay every now and then. Best thing about these cars is not to go too silly towards trackday prep.

I have been to loads of trackdays where people turn up with it all stripped out, harnesses and roll cages. And they are no more quicker then a car that if done right is a quick car on track.

I started off doing little bits here and there and then started to add more expensive mods to it. There is loads of little things that can improve he general handling of the car without spending mega bucks.

The three main ones would be
Coilovers
Rubber
Brakes

Get them sorted and then think about the rest :)