ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rejecting my car - an update

Thought Id give you all an update on the rejection of my Cup. You may remember that Id noticed a couple of minor paint defects soon after picking the (brand new) car up, and on closer inspection by the AA, it turns out that most of the car had been resprayed prior to me collecting it. Paint was up to 3 times as thick as it should have been, panel colours didnt match in places and the paint was flaking off on the doors. The bootlid is also rusted and needs replacing (on a 3 month old car...)

On the advice of my solicitor, I dumped the car at the dealers, gave them the keys and cancelled my finance payments. The solicitor then wrote to the dealership and the finance company.

The finance company replied to the letter, offering their support. Great! Then they started chasing me for unpaid finance, as the two departments werent talking to each other. Ive now asked my solicitor to give them a bollocking. Bloody GE Capital...

The dealer ignored the first letter, so my solicitor sent a second letter telling them how appalling they were for not responding. She had a phone call at the end of last week from the new General Manager of the dealership. It turns out that the old General Manager I had been dealing with had left the dealership. Git! This is on top of the salesman who actually sold me the car leaving a shortly after my complaints began. I sense a pattern here...

According to the dealership, there is a (very slow) procedure to be followed and they are currently following it. My dealer is a franchise (Lookers) so my case is also going through Renault UK who are holding everything up. My dealer has had the car inspected by their bodyshop, I have had an AA inspection, Renault UK have looked at the car sice I dumped it at the dealer and Ive just been told Renault will be looking at my car AGAIN this week. How many times do you need to be told, by how many experts, that the paint job on my car is unacceptable for a new vehicle???? :mad:

As the Cup is now being discontinued to make way for the Clio 182, they will not be able to get hold of a replacement Cup for me. I suppose they could do me a deal on a new Clio 182 but I have told my solicitor to get me my money back. She is quite confident that due to the major paint defect (AA expert opinion) with the car, and the fact that the 172 Cup is being discontinued, we will be successful.

My advice to anyone buying a new car is EXAMINE IT THOROUGHLY BEFORE SIGNING FINANCE/HANDING OVER CASH. If you have the slightest doubt about ANYTHING, get it examined/fixed before driving it away. Its incredibly difficult to sort things out once money has been exchanged. Im lucky that Im a stubborn b*stard, so I wont give in, and I have my motorbike to use as transport while everything is sorted out.

Ill let you all know how I get on, but in the meantime Im off to look at a £350 Vauxhall Cavalier tomorrow to use over the winter. I dont want my bike rotting when the roads get salted :(

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

good stuff for pursuing the matter, im sure many other owners have just ignored similar defects like yourself in believing they can do nothing about it.

Well, seeing as how you asked :D

Lookers Renault, St Marys Way, Stockport. They seem to have a rather rapid turn over of staff, a crappy attitude and no understanding of customer care.

Ill know never to go there then :)

Im in north manchester though and have contacts in renault oldham and renault manchester so if i do have any problems, hopefully they will be sorted ASAP and without any hassle ;)

Boyo

DoH!! thats who im waiting on for my brand new 172 have been told 22nd of november, If im not happy with the car then they should be used to people being stubborn and ill go armed with this story from BikeMan..

cheers ill let you all know how it goes..

Cheers for the replies folks. Ill let you all know how I get on.

Good luck to those of you picking up cars/having work done at Stockport. Check everything thoroughly before driving away...

Wish I had done this when I got my Cup which also had paint defects. I needed the car for work or would have been sacked so the garage had me by the balls. In the end got rid of it after 3 months, but lost couple of grand in the process. Wont be buying a Renault again, but unfortunalty there will be someone behind me who will!

Good luck.

Quote: Originally posted by BikeMan on 27 October 2003

Im in South Manchester/North Cheshire. Do you want me to name and shame my dealer, Pete??? ;)
Nah, Weve a Lookers here in Chelmsford, just wondered if it was the same one!

Some news folks!!

Had contact from the dealer via my solicitor. Renault have looked at the car for the second time (yesterday) and have concluded there is no accident damage (which I knew) but that there were inconsistencies in the paintwork. No sh1t, Sherlock! Theyre going to send a report to the dealer and any recommendations/offers.

In the interim, the dealer wants to sort this out quickly and has made me an offer. I guess the new General Manager doesnt want my albatross around his neck any longer!! He has a 53 plate ex-demo Cup on his forecourt that hes prepared to swap for my 03 plate Cup. Sounds like a fairly good offer, no?

Well, I was actually snooping around the dealers on Saturday (which he doesnt know) and I saw my car, and also a Cup for sale. A 53 plate. It looked OK, and was up for £10,495. Just checked on Auto Trader for similar cars and thats cheap. Too cheap. Also, the car had a Lookers number plate on the front and a different dealer chain (I cant remember which one) on the rear. Somethings not right with that car/price. Plus, my knowledge of ex-demo cars is that theyre ragged from day one and I carefully ran my Cup in.

Does the dealer think Im thick? Why would I take a ragged ex-demo (thats going for a very cheap price) in place of my carefully run in car? Why should I pay the price of a new car, on finance, for an ex-demo? Ive told the solicitor to tell him no chance and to get my money back.

I cant believe he thinks Id go for his offer!! :mad:

Lee

BMW M2C

Good luck BikeMan. I really hope you get this sorted out soon.

I agree with you about the ex demo thing, Ive driven many brand new demos as hard as possible without even warming them up!!

Stick to your guns mate and once again, good luck.

Cheers Lee. My solicitor seems to think that Renault will say sod off, its your problem to the dealer (as theyre a franchise) and Lookers wont want to get in Renaults bad books as they dont want to lose their dealership. Also, they dont want to go to court as they know theyve sold me a duff car and dont want the adverse publicity. She seems to think Ill have a deal sorted out by the end of the week, and Ive told her I want her to get my money back.

Heres hoping eh?

Megane 225 baby! :)

Shall keep my fingers crossed for you Bikeman, sounds like you have a very rare thing there - A good solicitor! ;)

Clio Dci

i live in stockport and lookers is where i got my cup from. to be honest i have found them friendly and helpfull and have gone out of their way to check my car. sorry to hear they arnt the same with you but then again i dont want 13 grand back.

i was there yesterday and saw a cup parked up. number plate h* cup. was that yours. that was the car they checked and compared my bias valve too.

best of luck mate

ICE'dberg MK2 172

[sound of rubbing hands together]

looking forward to being one of the first proud owners of a 182 then..;)

best of luck with the outcome.

Pete - yep "HICCUP" is/was my Cup. Ill be taking the plate back along with my cash :)

Chris - a 182? No chance. If (sorry, WHEN!) I get my cash back Ill be taking my time to decide what to replace it with. I will NEVER buy a new car again, and I wont be buying a Renault again either...