ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remap fails MOT

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
I had my clio dci 100 remapped a few months back & its now puttin out 130bhp and 190lbs/ft! Niiiiiice ;)

Under hard accelleration the car produces an impressive smoke trail as i leave most other cars behind, however my only worry is, will that cause my car to fail its MOT on emissions?

It doesn't smoke all the time, only wen u boot it, but yesterday the engine management light came on (the yellow one to the bottom right of the display) and now it won't go away.

Any ideas? :S

Chocolate Bar™
mot emissions test is done by holding the car at a constant rpm, at a guess 3000ish and then revving it slightly to get fluctuations. so as long as its got its cat in i wouldnt see it being a problem.

CB600FS
If you've just started to get excessive smoke, and your EML lights on, I'd check your EGR valves not blocked or jammed.

Excessive smoke isnt good

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
If you floor-it (overtaking etc) and the coil-light flashes & stop light comes on for about 5 seconds - what does that mean? :S

mazda 2 sport white
make shure you get the car nice and hot give it a good long run this will help clear smoke , and should pass mot . good luck mate .

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Sounds like the EGR could be stuck open, losing boost pressure and making it smoke under load.

Paul

If you floor-it (overtaking etc) and the coil-light flashes & stop light comes on for about 5 seconds - what does that mean? :S
Check the glow plugs. Renault need a computer plugged in to see the problem I'd think EGR as said needs checking/cleaning.

Under hard accelleration the car produces an impressive smoke trail as i leave most other cars behind, however my only worry is, will that cause my car to fail its MOT on emissions?

It doesn't smoke all the time, only wen u boot it, but yesterday the engine management light came on (the yellow one to the bottom right of the display) and now it won't go away.

As said check and clean your EGR value I think the mapper might have pushed the engine a bit to much then again RR are about as accurate as a bar of chocolate often.

LY 182
mot emissions test is done by holding the car at a constant rpm, at a guess 3000ish and then revving it slightly to get fluctuations. so as long as its got its cat in i wouldnt see it being a problem.
petrol cat tests are done like that, constnant 2500 to 3000rpm
deisel tests are done using short full throttle accelerations and it measures the opacity of the smoke, before you go for your test give it a good caining round the block it will help the reading alot (and save the tester having to road test it)

172Petey

most Mot testers only do a idle emissions test these days, all to do with health and safety.

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
Thanx for ure info guys, much appreciated!
Umm wots the EGR valve? lol

Yeah very nippy atm, my times are:
0-60 = 8.5secs
30-50 in 4th = 5 secs (starts below turbo range which is a pain)
50-70 in 5th = 6.5 secs
Quarter mile claims to be 16.5 secs (that was on a meter tho)

CB600FS
most Mot testers only do a idle emissions test these days, all to do with health and safety.

Surely the cars being driven on the road for hours at a time, above 2500rpm damage the environment more than holding it on 2500rpm for about 30 seconds? Bet they do both idle and fast idle tests when the M.O.T turn up lol

LY 182

Surely the cars being driven on the road for hours at a time, above 2500rpm damage the environment more than holding it on 2500rpm for about 30 seconds? Bet they do both idle and fast idle tests when the M.O.T turn up lol
its only done like that on petrol tests, they are always completed
alot of mot testers dont do the deisel test as its such a pain in the arse you get drift errors etc then your smoke meter clogs up it can take forever to get it to go through

LY 182
Is there not the idle, and fast idle for petrols.

Just the idle for Diesels?
nope petrols pre 1992 are an idle emmisions check, petrols post 1992 are a cat test consisting of 2500-3000 fast idle then a natural idle emmisions check

diesels pre 1979 are visual smoke check, post 79 are tested using short full throttle accelerations and smoke opacity is measured.

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
Wel surely ditz that would fail me my MOT then? cos literally soon as the turbo kicks in it pumps out the soot like its goin outta fashion!

I'd be interested to see what garages they are. There not going to last long.
you'd be surprised what some garages round here get up to mate :lolup:

Won't be long. The locals round here are getting very strict I know the well whoevers in charge of it has been going checks as cars have left garages and doing there own MOTs and taking licences and confiscating cars.