ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remap?

1.4 dynamique (soon)
im pretty sure this is a very dumb question and yes im aware that this is most probably in the wrong section.

ANYWAY anyone able to tell me what the eff a remap actually is?!

what does it do and what are the benefits of having one done?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
ECU (brain of the vehicle) - basically finely tunes the brain of the vehicle which controls the engine if you like for more specific values, whether that be reducing flat spots, creating more power or better mpg etc.

It's a more 'honed-optimised' brain for your car.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The main difference on a remap on a standard 172, is that the renault map uses the lambda sensor right upto around 5K rpm, which is far too late for performance to be holding the car at an economical air fuel ratio, so when you remap it the main thing you do is add some more fuel into it from 3-5K to stop it being so crippled by running too lean.

Thats where the big gains come from, the rest is just a minor adjustment to fueling here and an extra degree or two of ignition there etc.

1.4 dynamique (soon)
oh okay mate, im looking at getting a non sport for now (first car) then a mk1 1*2 after a year or so of no claims

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I don't think you lose the kick, you just don't notice it because no flat spot. Might get the sunflower done :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want the kick after it's mapped just drive at half throttle till 5k then floor it and it will be just as rubbish as the standard terrible map is.

Clio Cup
Though i do have issues with them calling them "re-maps"

unless youve written the map then is should really be called a "re-programme"

or is that just me being pedantic (and i am in no way a mapper or programmer for that matter)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Though i do have issues with them calling them "re-maps"

unless youve written the map then is should really be called a "re-programme"

or is that just me being pedantic (and i am in no way a mapper or programmer for that matter)

Sounds like utter tosh to me tbh rather than pedantic, as to me (with a software engineering degree and 30 years or so of experience of programming and a dozen or so of mapping cars) the map is the data saying how much fuel to inject, how much ignition timing to run, and set all the other variables up for transient fuelling etc, and the programme is the actual code that executes on the ECU that tells it what address to look for values at, what algorithms to run etc, which very few people will be changing on an OEM ecu remap. Some people do, like some of the cosworth tuners add in new programme code to add extra features rather than just change data, but its highly unusual TBH in the grand scheme of things.

I dont think many people would associate "re-programme" with a generic map flash like you are saying, so while it might make sense to you that way round, it probably wont to anyone else.

thing is when you get a map you lose a bit of the 5k+ kick ! hence why I haven't mapped mine runs great

I have the 98Ron map. Wouldn't say I've lost the kick but it's not as noticable as the power delivery is much smoother.
That map was one of the best things I've done to my car. Makes it far more usable low down too.

Well worth it! Worst case is you could always flash your stock map back to the car.

im pretty sure this is a very dumb question and yes im aware that this is most probably in the wrong section.

ANYWAY anyone able to tell me what the eff a remap actually is?!

what does it do and what are the benefits of having one done?

Were you thinking of getting one for the 1.4 you're about to buy?

Last edited:
  1.4 dynamique (soon)
I have the 98Ron map. Wouldn't say I've lost the kick but it's not as noticable as the power delivery is much smoother.
That map was one of the best things I've done to my car. Makes it far more usable low down too.

Well worth it! Worst case is you could always flash your stock map back to the car.

Were you thinking of getting one for the 1.4 you're about to buy?

Was considering it, doesnt sound like its worth it too much, what are the rough ideas of prices?

Was considering it, doesnt sound like its worth it too much, what are the rough ideas of prices?

You'd probably see some minor gains and perhaps a fuel economy increase, but it won't have you playing with the Sport boys. Be a bit like being the tallest midget.

K-Tec do them. Personally don't have any experience of K-Tec remaps and the opinions on here are mixed.
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2540&appid=4

What else could you spend £234 on?

1.4 dynamique (soon)
You'd probably see some minor gains and perhaps a fuel economy increase, but it won't have you playing with the Sport boys. Be a bit like being the tallest midget.

K-Tec do them. Personally don't have any experience of K-Tec remaps and the opinions on here are mixed.
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2540&appid=4

What else could you spend £234 on?

not worth it at all then, wouldnt bother with that untill ive got my 1*2 modded up enough to consider hundreds on technical stuff, cheers matey