ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remap

197 black 57 plate
once I've sorted my gear box I'm going to get a remap , I've heard superchips bluefin remap is good and I like the way you can remove if you want to then put back on , has anybody heard any bad things about this map or any other ones available in Essex ?
Cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Your not going to notice gains imo on a standard ish car with a new map. You will notice less money though.

But to get its running true then yeah a rolling road check would be good by someone trusted.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've heard you notice quite a lot of difference with a bluefin on a 197

I've not had it done, but know a bluefin map will be a generic map. I.e. Not tailored to your car.

This isn't a bad thing, especially if your car is standard, or near standard. You won't get any power (any noticeable power) due to the engine being naturally aspirated, but you may notice an improvement in drivability; less kangarooing, no flat spot, smoother power delivery etc etc.

But make sure you're not paying over the odds.

For reference, you can get an rstuner for circa £120 if I remember right, pay £40 to have it unlocked and then £xx for a generic map to load to your car.

You can then sell the rs tuner on for £120 to recoup some costs.

Have a search for those on here.

If your car isn't standard; cams, inlets, exhausts, plenums etc, you'll want to look into a custom map by the likes of RSTuning or efi parts.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bluefin is s**t. Remapping a na clio is pointless, unless the flat spot on the 197 bothers you.
I had my 200 mapped (foc). If I'd paid £100 for it I'd have been annoyed.
If you must, do it via rstuner. But it's still pointless.

197 black 57 plate
I'm not looking for a sudden track car to come out of a simple generic map but maybe quicker 0-60 and more mpg on the daily work treck , the bluefin is only £250 compared to £400 for most other ones and just thought the mpg extra would mean it would pay for itself ??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not looking for a sudden track car to come out of a simple generic map but maybe quicker 0-60 and more mpg on the daily work treck , the bluefin is only £250 compared to £400 for most other ones and just thought the mpg extra would mean it would pay for itself ??
You won't get either of those from any remap on a 197. You might (might) get a slight mid range torque bump. But we're talking tiny tiny gains that you won't notice.

It's like an air filter change on these cars. The placebo effect is stronger than the actual effect.

Bluefin is crap. Poorly mapped, garbage. Rstuner is even cheaper iirc, and that has other advantages. Bluefin is crap. I'd rather stick a turd in the manifold.

I'd save your money and get something more worthwhile. Like fairy dust, magic beans etc. But if you really want to map it, buy an rstuner. It's actually designed for the car, there's been some actual development done, and you can use it afterwards as a code reader etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Bluefin is s**t. Remapping a na clio is pointless, unless the flat spot on the 197 bothers you.
I had my 200 mapped (foc). If I'd paid £100 for it I'd have been annoyed.
If you must, do it via rstuner. But it's still pointless.

Agreed 10000%. I had mine rolling road mapped, wish I had saved the £300 at the time or whatever it was.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

How often do you do 0-60 runs?

That's not an arsey dig, but before you go chasing quarter mile times, genuinely consider why you're wanting to spunk upwards of £250 on a standard car.

If you want more fasts, get better tyres, brakes and suspension.

197 black 57 plate
M
How often do you do 0-60 runs?

That's not an arsey dig, but before you go chasing quarter mile times, genuinely consider why you're wanting to spunk upwards of £250 on a standard car.

If you want more fasts, get better tyres, brakes and suspension.
M8 there's no need to get arsy I'm purely asking questions !!!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
0-60 times are not going to be affected mate. 30 onwards, maybe but nothing you would really notice in the reall world.

The map do make these nicer to drive, same with using the Rs tuner. The latter being far cheaper but be aware the lock the ecu so it's a real arse if you later on did some bigger mods to get it mapped on a rolling road etc. If it was me having been there before, just leave it unless it's not running right if that makes sense

197 black 57 plate
I looked into the rs tuner and added up its £320+ and the bluefin is £249 and u still have to sell the rs module , I work with 2 blokes that have got the bluefin map , one on a megane 300 rs and one with a focus st and both say it makes a big difference and I've driven the focus after and noticed it so I just asked to see if "you lot" approved of it and all I got bad feedback about it and I'm wondering why ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It makes a difference on turbo cars yes, on clios you are pissing in the wind mate.

No ones having a dig just offering advice that has been said before

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I looked into the rs tuner and added up its £320+ and the bluefin is £249 and u still have to sell the rs module , I work with 2 blokes that have got the bluefin map , one on a megane 300 rs and one with a focus st and both say it makes a big difference and I've driven the focus after and noticed it so I just asked to see if "you lot" approved of it and all I got bad feedback about it and I'm wondering why ?
Look, you don't have to follow advise. It's up to you. On a turbo car, you get massive gains. I still wouldn't use bluefin on a turbo because they are generic crap. I've no idea why a person would spend their hard earned on a decent car, then try and save pennies using a generic map with a poor reputation (ie bluefin).
It's the equivalent of running linglong tyres.

But forgetting that, you're comparing apples with oranges. The gains you would see on a turbo car, would cost £2k plus on a 197.

But, it's your money. Yours to do with as you please. If you want to waste it by going against all advise and common knowledge, fair enough. But why ask for advise, then complain when it's not the answer you want?

Regarding na mapping, watch this.
If you watch and decide its worth the money, go for it.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
An RStuner works out to be around £70 quid.

Buy second hand for £100, buy unlock licence and map for ~£70, sell Tuner for £100.

Its a good mod, but 0-60 will change by about 0.01 seconds.

If your wanting to make it faster, you are going to be massively disappointed with a remap, whether it's super chips, RStuner, or a proper live map.

If you are happy with increased drivability, and better cold running characteristics, then you'll be over the moon

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

As has been said pal, power on boosted car costs pennies in comparison to naturally aspirated engines.

The 2.0l engine in the clio is highly strung as it is.

It's not a case of us approving or trying to shoot you down, it just seems like you don't want to hear our advice.

SQ5
Typical CS.

OP asks for advice

Gets good advice

OP gets angry they didn't like advice

I'll get the popcorn ready for;

OP ignores advice, gets angry good advice was right.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
It is a strange place this sometimes, even if you dont agree with whats been said, u should always bow down to the knowledge on here, people might take the piss from time to time, but these boys really really do know their s**t about Clios and plenty of other cars....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
That's a really interesting video. More so the face spending money with someone who knows what they are doing doesn't seem inflated

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
D

did you notice a difference in mpg and 0-60 times ?
Thanks for a normal comment
Yes mpg is better as long as you don't have a heavy right foot, it's not about 0-60 times its about how it responds and delivers the power. Go and talk to Andy I have known them for 15 years they have done loads of work for me and I travel from Sheffield to them as I value there professionalism and attention to detail.

197 black 57 plate
After many hours thinking I've decided against the bluefin and getting a local remap place to custom map my car , not for more power but for a better drive and hopefully increase the mpg a little