ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote control with Head Unit

1998 Renault Clio RN
I've just replaced my standard radio/casette with a sony xplod cd player. The standard remote control behind the steering wheel will not work with the new head unit. Is there anything i can do in order to make the remote control work with my new head unit?

Cheers.

Clio Campus Sport 1.2 16v
I got the same problem im not to sure if you can fix it. I got a pioneer headunit and it doesn't work with that.

Kyle!

1998 Renault Clio RN
I have been told from some people it can't be done at all.

And some have said a lead can be purchased.

1998 Renault Clio RN
Would the car not have the adapter already fitted? As it worked with the standard radio?

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Nope, the adapter is to apapt the original stalk to an interface which can be connected to an after market headunit.

mk2 ph1
Yeah, they will work fine with the right adapter.

I have a Sony HU and think back in the day it cost around £25-30 and stalk controls are fully working.

v6
:star: cheers guys, my pioneer hu has been in the garage gathering dust as didn't want to lose the steering wheel controls if I fitted it. Has anyone got their pioneer hu to work using these leads?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Wiht a lot of these stalk adapaters you need 2 things, first the main adapter which is vehicle specific and usually around 30-40 pounds (although there was one specific Clio one that was about 90!).

You then need the stereo specific lead (kind of liek a little patch lead) that connects the main adapter to your HU. These are about £6.

So if you have a Clio and an Alpine unit you'd buy the clio vehicle adapter specific to your year, say this for example http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/29652-steeringstalk-control-adaptor-p-3474.html, and also the Alpine stereo adapter, like this http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/incartec-alpine-adaptor-p-3481.html.

Generally the incartec adapters are a lot cheaper than manufacturers own, also the manufacturer ones can be a ball ache to get hold of.

Just make sure you buy the right leads for the correct year of car :)

BMW M135i
The caraudiodirect ones are the best ones to go for if your not bothered and the display. Easyiest to install and work best imo.

CLIO Iceberg 172
right im a bit confused about this.........
i have a 2001 mk2 172.......
i need the cables to install a JVC head unit into it but also keeping the remote and what i guess is the display at the top of the dash.....
iv been looking at the cables and i cant figure out what one i need

there are three cables that goo from 1998-2002, 1999-2005, 2002-2005
what one do i fall into????
im guessing its the 2002-2005 model cos its a mk2 and they changed to the newer shape in 2006
but i dont get the fact that its from 2002 not 2001 which was when the switch over in shapes was made......

so do i need the 2002 - 2005 cable with display to enable me to keep the functions of the remote and the display?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
The display won't work, only the steering controls.

You will need the 1999 - 2005. IIRC.

Why not ring up and ask to be sure.

CLIO Iceberg 172
when you say the display wont work. do you mean it wont display the radio station or freq.. will it still display everything else like external temp etc or will it comepltly become usless?