ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote Desktop access?

Da

Less
I have just added a new PC upstairs and all my pictures/documents etc are on the old PC downstairs.

Thay are both connected wirelessly but how do I go about accessing one PC from the other? Is this even possible?

Old PC is XP sp2 and new PC is Vista if that's of any relevance?

Ford Kuga Phev
I use MSTSC, its the windows built in remote desktop client, all you need to do is go to Start, run and type mstsc, it will bring up a window, type the name if the machine in the computer field, and your on your way!

Da

Less
MSTSC doesn't seem able to connect me! :dapprove:

Will have a look at logmein.com thanks.

Cupra
you have to enable rdp on the machine you want to control. Not all vista editions have rdp iirc.

Tight VNC is a good free alternative though.

DanCup is right.. sounds like you just want access to your files.. so use standard file sharing.

Da

Less
Both machines are rdp enabled as far as I can tell.

Typing the names of the respective machine in either PC and trying to connect brings up an error message stating that the PC cannot be found.

As for file sharing, can you expand a little please? :)

No probs.
What you wanna do, Remote Desktop isn't really the best solution.. file sharing is.

Have fun ;)

SLK 350
For mstsc the client needs to be pingable. If it's not pingable chances are your firewall is dropping the packets, disable it or add a port exception.

Cupra
RDP=MSTSC

Tight VNC = free similar type program, but not as good as RDP.

As long as the PC's are in the same workgroup/ domain, just connect to the admin shares:

\\yourpcname\c$

another note for remote desktop the machine you are remote desktoping too needs to have a password set otherwise it wont work.

Logmein is ok but i found it annoying to use and you cant transfer files to and from the host machine to the remote machine unless you pay for the pro version.

I have the network setup here for simple file sharing and media sharing to the xbox over the LAN but for external access i have setup dyndns on my router and the use the domain host name i have to remote desktop in allowing me full access.

I have also patched the terminal services dll to allow concurrent sessions on my Vista Ultimate machine so i can be remotely logged in and someone can work locally without any interference. It works really well i think, just a shame i cant wake over the internet as that would be quite useful.

For mstsc the client needs to be pingable. If it's not pingable chances are your firewall is dropping the packets, disable it or add a port exception.

It doesn't need to be pingable.. it connects fine if you drop pings.

It just needs port 3389/tcp (default) accessible :p

Clio 172mk2
aint there any patch`s / cracks to add the remote desktop to vista home , bloody annyin only think i want off the other versions

SLK 350
Yeah sorry Daz, I was speaking broadly, my point being if you disable the FW it will be easier to diagnose for the average user. Adding the exception for RDP as we suggested would do it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Why are people still talking about RDA ??

Its already been said that its overkill and not in any way an efficient way to share files. Honestly !