ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing backbox baffles..

MK3 GTI golf 16v
right. back box looks like this....
2201GVR43.gif

idea is. cut a large square from the top, remove or drill loads of holes in the baffles. weld square back on. gonna get proper exhaust place to do this obviously, is this a reasonable idea ? i cant think of any other way to get the baffles out....?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
because ive got a cat back system, but its no louder than the standrard exhaust system so want to make it bit louder. only silencers ive got are the back box and the cat. rather do this than decat the car

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got one backbox and no other silencers or cats and I can set car alarms off.

Why on earth do you want to create more noise??

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i dont want it to be horrendoulsy loud, but atm ive paid £250 odd quid for a cat back and you dont know ive got one because its no louder than standard. so the bafffles are coming out, or im decating it. one or the other, not both. and id rather take the baffles out

CLIO 172 CUP....
magnex. would of fort it would sound louder than standed mate. has you middle section got a silencer on or is it a striaght thought middle section...

even if it aint striaght and has a silencer it should still be louder than standed...

MK3 GTI golf 16v
magnex. would of fort it would sound louder than standed mate. has you middle section got a silencer on or is it a striaght thought middle section...

even if it aint striaght and has a silencer it should still be louder than standed...

not noticably louder at all mate, why im disapointed and want to get baffles out. its a straight pipe from the cat to the back box, no silencers except cat and box

CLIO 172 CUP....
s**t man, iv had fitted a straight thought pipe along with a powerflow backbox and it sounds F**king nice.

how about going for an other after markit backbox...

MK3 GTI golf 16v
s**t man, iv had fitted a straight thought pipe along with a powerflow backbox and it sounds F**king nice.

how about going for an other after markit backbox...

yeah but i just paid £250 :/ dont wanna be instantly ditching it and buying another one. im guessing removing the baffles is gonna make alot of difference? is cutting it open the most logical way of going about this, or has anyone got any ideas ? my mate said he had rubber ones or something in his and he blew them out by ragging it round in really high revs :S

monaco 172
Hmm.

What car is it? Just says mk2

If it's a sport why don't you just decat it, will sound mint and from my experience felt the tiniest little bit faster at top end.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
not the sport. bog standard :) aint bothered about performance in the slightest tbh, if i have to i will decat it, id just rather get the baffles out first. saves pissing about at MOT time.
gonna give exhaust place thats a few miles away a ring tomorrow and see what they think.

its so annoying. it sounds so nice, its just like it has the volume turned down...

MK3 GTI golf 16v
fair enough. problem is im used to driving bikes, and i find driving so boring if i cant hear the engine. so, loudish exhaust is necassery.

any suggestions on the matter would be lovely ? or a better way to remove the baffles or some such

CLIO 172 CUP....
mate..if your just after it sounding better then go for it cut the backbox and remove the baffles....

wot engine size is it......

MK3 GTI golf 16v
its only a 1.2. i know youll all shout its a waste of time, but i want it to make some noise because i like it and i have to tollerate the car untill i can afford a 172 or something.
you recon drilling loads of holes in the baffles will give the same effect as removing them ? just incase i have trouble getting them out or something. gonna go through a fair few blades cutting stainless :(

Last edited:
  monaco 172
I had an open cone knn 57i on my 1.2 when I was 17 and it sounded mint when you floor it lol, better than most other chavs exhaust note.

1.4 16v Clio sport
not the sport. bog standard :) aint bothered about performance in the slightest tbh, if i have to i will decat it, id just rather get the baffles out first. saves pissing about at MOT time.
gonna give exhaust place thats a few miles away a ring tomorrow and see what they think.

its so annoying. it sounds so nice, its just like it has the volume turned down...
your still going to have to piss around at mot time to change the back box or it will fail on that too and then if its too loud like my old saxo it will fail on "greater noise produced than a similar sized car with a good condition exhaust" so you might as well de cat tbh

lol.... just take your exhaust off get loads of noise then!! or you could get a cd of exhaust noises and play that.:boring:

Listerine & Poledo
just kick the whole box off completely, so long as you've got a cat you're emission friendly innit