ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Dash top - 172 mk II

Hi Guys,

Finally got a 172 mkII which I am very happy with. Busy going through a process of eliminating all the rattles and stuff and I am almost finished, just need to find one that comes from above the speedo and rev counter, so I want ot remove the dash top. I been reading some of the other posts about this and just wanted to someone to confirm what I need to do.

1) Remove plastic panels from A Pillars

2) Remove 3 torx screws from front of dash (Located in the vent which blows on the windscreen ?)

3) Remove 2 screws from the sides of the dash ( Visible when doors are open)

4) Remove carbon look strip from passenger side and 3 screws underneath. Does the little strip on the drivers side also need ot be removed and what is the best way to do this without damaging it ?

5) lift off dash top. Is that it then ? Does the dash top clip in anywhere is does it just come off one all the screws are out ? Have I missed anything ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes there is a full and comprehensive guide with photos for members.

I will be joining the club, problem is I dont have a credit card and I am in South Africa.

I havent noticed any screws under the steering column. Do I have to drop the column to its lowest position to see them ? I only want to take the top of the dash off, not the whole thing. Is it still necessary to do take these screws out ? How do you get the carbon look bit next to the steering column off ?

Guys please help me out. I am trying to join now as we speak, apparently South Africa is not a Country as there is no option to select South Africa from the list when trying to join online. What do I do ?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

there ARE three screws in the steering column which you need to remove (from underneath the column), it is not necessary to change the position of the column to see them, there are three screw holes in the bottom of it!, and yes this is necessary to remove the dash top, as if you look sensibly, you will see that the top half of the steering column will obstruct the removal of the dash top (the peice around the dials), once all the screws are removed, it is not just a case of pulling the dash off, it is necessary to slide it forward for removal. (Be careful of the airbags when doing this!!).

Gareth.

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 02 April 2004

there ARE three screws in the steering column which you need to remove (from underneath the column), it is not necessary to change the position of the column to see them, there are three screw holes in the bottom of it!, and yes this is necessary to remove the dash top, as if you look sensibly, you will see that the top half of the steering column will obstruct the removal of the dash top (the peice around the dials), once all the screws are removed, it is not just a case of pulling the dash off, it is necessary to slide it forward for removal. (Be careful of the airbags when doing this!!).

Gareth.

Thanks for the advice. Would you therefore recommend disabling the passenger airbag, using the keyhole in the passenger door ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If you disconnect the battery a few hours before you start the job it should be sufficiently discharged to work around.

Make sure you have your radio code handy though for when you re-attach the battery. Either that or turn the key to switch off the airbag and wait a few hours.

Thanks for all the assistance. Still one question to be answered: Why does WackoJacko say you need 2 people to remove the dash ?

And why do you have to wait a few hours, surely switching the airbag off with the key in the door would disable it immediately ?

Nissan R35 GT-R

You dont need 2 people or have to do (or not do) anything with the airbags.

Also the 3 screws under the steering column do not need to be removed, but the two under the speedo and rev counter do.

Thanks Frosty,

How do you then get to the 2 under the speedo and rev counter without removing the top of the steering column ?

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 02 April 2004

You dont need 2 people or have to do (or not do) anything with the airbags.

Also the 3 screws under the steering column do not need to be removed, but the two under the speedo and rev counter do.

you tell that to the bloke i watched working on a dashboard who didnt disconnect the battery 1st and managed to get his head put through the windscreen as the airbay deployed. its your choice but for the case of simply dis-connecting the battery a couple of hours before i know what i would do

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

^^ exactly, you dont HAVE to disconnect it.. but good luck, airbags have been known to just go off for no reason (and it is a Renault remember ;)

The airbags have a charge in them to set off the airbags even if the battery gets disconnected. Not much good if your in a crash and the battery gets disconnected and the airbags cant go off !

So remove battery and allow them to discharge, couple hours to be on the safe side. Anyone who has seen Final Destination 2 will know just how bad airbags can be.. lol

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help on Friday regarding this. The job was actually really easy and happened without much fuss. I know have possibly the only clio 172 without, yes you heard correct, WITHOUT ANY RATTLES !! Car is dead quiet, even over rough surfaces. Its amazing what a bit of foam sheeting and silicon rubber can do.

Couple of points I would like to confirm based on my experience for others in the future wanting to remove the dash:

1) You do not need to remove any screws under the steering colum to clip the top half of the column off.

2) It is not a 2 man job, can easily be handled by 1 person. I had it out, all rattles sorted and back in in around 2hrs and I was working slowly as to be extra careful.

3) Best way to effectively disable the airbag is to use the keyhole located in the passenger side armrest on the door. This totally disables the airbag, even in the case of an accident. It is normally used when putting a baby seat on the front seat and will thus NOT go off if disabled in this way. I confirmed this with Renault South Africas Tech helpline.

4) The A Pillar plactic covers have to be removed for the dash top to come out.

Hope this helps anyone who may want to attempt something similar.

Once again thanks for your help.

Just one little point unless the 172 dash is different from a 1.2 (which I dont think they are)

Point 4 above is incorrect you dont need to take the A pillar covers off at all.

Sorry!!

In the 172 you do need to remove them. The bottom of the A Pillar covers clip into the sides of the dash. If you dont remove them first, the dash wont come out.