ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

REMOVING TAR

clio 172 cup
removing tar thers is quite a few specs of tar on the bottom of the door pannels and skirts i have tryed them tar and bug wipes but doesnt seem to be doin much is there any thing else you would recomend,

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
AG tar. Squirt on from bum strips down, come back in 5 mins and they will have melted away. Any remaining spots attack waith SRP, which you should do anyway as the AG strips any wax according to the blurb.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I've never used Tardis but ITR removes Tar without any problems

180.6Bhp 172 cup (cc)
Clay it mate. i did mine for the first time last Wednesday and was well impressed with how better it looked when it was done. Fucked off that it rained later in the day on the motor way though!!

I've never used Tardis but ITR removes Tar without any problems

Integra Type R Andy? ;)

Tar removers are usually good, but there are some awful spray ones that will get every where and be a pain to remove.

Super Resin Polish will usually be sufficient. Failing this, as some have stated, you can buy a claying "kit" from Halfrauds. I am guessing you are not an OTT detailer, so a bit of polish will be the best bet.

clio 172 cup
nar am not mate never used clay before how do you use the clay is the like a spray you put on before you use it ?

clio 172 cup
AG tar. Squirt on from bum strips down, come back in 5 mins and they will have melted away. Any remaining spots attack waith SRP, which you should do anyway as the AG strips any wax according to the blurb.
whats AG TAR ?

clio 172 cup
also there is a tiny pin dot of rust on the drivers door can anyone advise me what to use.

nar am not mate never used clay before how do you use the clay is the like a spray you put on before you use it ?

Clay is, actually, as it sounds. It is a peice of clay material, rather like a piece of soap shaped playdough. You use it to literally "scratch" off the clay, as the surface is very cutting, so it slices the tar off a layer at a time. If you haven't used it before I would suggest just using polish mate.

also there is a tiny pin dot of rust on the drivers door can anyone advise me what to use.

Regards to the rust, The paint surface has obviously been broken? I would suggest using something like super resin polish again to get rid of the rust, then get a pro to do a touch up of the paintwork, to protect it from further problems.

Hope this all helps.

Jamie

whats AG TAR ?

Auto Glym tar remover lad,

tarremover.jpg

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
For ease of availability and price etc. I'd say SRP (Auto Glym - Super Resin Polish) Pick it up from halfords and they usually have 3 for 2 on AG products so if you think you may get into detailing then I'd look at AG EGP (Extra Gloss Protection) and Auto Glym Tyre Dressing as 3 decent products that AG do

You just spraying it as it comes straight out the bottle? Never been a fan of having to 'apply' it like a LSP or something. Spraying like you would with tardis sounds much easier.:approve:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Pah, AG tyre dressing? Andy what are you smoking ;)

What Andy has said is true about the SRP and EGP however.

Just trying to think of 3 Products from the AG Range worth owning and only really thought of SRP and EGP then remebered I have the AG Tyre Dressing to make up the 3 when I went in to Halfords :eek:

I shall buy better next time but is does the trick for now

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
LOL..... I don't know why I wrote it like that for as I'm hardly an expert its just I used the ITR Yesterday so remembered how easily it removes alot of tar

clio 172 cup
am gona mate jsut wunderd if that wd 40 would effect the paint the only ever time i have used wd 40 is when a uster have a motocross bike uster oil the chain with it was good for getting stuff off the plastics aswell.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Would probably shift it but not exactly what its designed for LOL

Flame Red Delight
i am being serious here but i heard that if you use petrol this removes the tar almost instantly in one wipe, obviously gloves would need to be used and only a small amount of petrol being used but i heard that it works without damaging the surface?

wd40 wont harm the paint, if you look up wd website it actually recommends it.tried it and it works with no adverse affects.

i am being serious here but i heard that if you use petrol this removes the tar almost instantly in one wipe, obviously gloves would need to be used and only a small amount of petrol being used but i heard that it works without damaging the surface?

wd40 wont harm the paint, if you look up wd website it actually recommends it.tried it and it works with no adverse affects.

Both have very mild oil strippers in them, hence if someone like me spills petrol on their car when filling up they have to go home, polish the area, reapply the melted sealend and wax and then calm down with a brown paper bag. :cool:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
and then calm down with a brown paper bag. :cool:

FLOL.... I could just imagine though..... I had spent a day cleaning my car and went to the Petrol Sation and spilled a dribble down the side of my car and I had to be somehwere but off I went back home to clean and reapply products to the area thus making me late but at least my car wasn't slowly fizzing away LOL

"Navy" N17 TWO
A dam good powerwash
Soak with AG Tar Remover, agitate with an old terry-towel and leave it for a few mins
Rub it off with the terry-towel & warm water
Still some left? Clay it!
Wee buns :)