ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing wax etc

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
How do I clean the car in preparation of a big polishing session?
Ie remove the wax etc?
what I normally do:
tarX
IronX
DD Born to be Mild
clay
polish
wipe with IPA
Prima Amigo
Wax (still looking for a good one)

then wash the car every week if possible, and go over it with a QD

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wash before tar and iron x mate

Follow that by clay, wash again, dry, polish with whatever, wash again to f**k the dust off, dry, IPA, amigo then LSP

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Polishing should remove the wax . Another good product to use would be the hydro2lite . I've got it on on my Arctic blue , it's still beading really well . Also try a clay mitt instead of clay , takes about 1/10th of the time to clay your car than traditional clay ,it's so easy to use ,you'll feel a real difference . Mine was like glass after I'd finished . You won't find any easier products that give results than the Clay Mitt and Hydro2lite .

http://www.c1.halfords.com/motoring...iling-products/farecla-g3-body-prep-clay-mitt

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/reccomend-me-some-stuff.775119/#post-10762842

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clay Mitt Will mar your paint so be even more careful than clay.
It Won't mar your paintwork if used correctly . I used a bucket of strong shampoo as lubricant and one bucket of clean water to rinse after so many passes , you only need to use light pressure , basically the weight of the wet mitt and your hand , no need to press on . So much easier than traditional clay with the same results :smile:

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Wash before tar and iron x mate

Follow that by clay, wash again, dry, polish with whatever, wash again to f**k the dust off, dry, IPA, amigo then LSP
I thought tar and iron X needed to be applied to a dry car?.....should I wash > dry > X> wash and dry again....??
I'll be working for hours...(Lazy f**k I am....)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine was covered in tar and other contaminants , especially around the bottom of the doors , sills , rear wheel arches , the clay mitt removed all of it effortlessly and it was like glass when finished, better than when it was new . If you're a lazy f**cker , same as me , try these 2 products I mentioned . It'll save you lots of time and work and the results will be amazing . This is all my personal opinion of course , from my own experience .

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It Won't mar your paintwork if used correctly . I used a bucket of strong shampoo as lubricant and one bucket of clean water to rinse after so many passes , you only need to use light pressure , basically the weight of the wet mitt and your hand , no need to press on . So much easier than traditional clay with the same results :smile:

It can mar even if used correctly, its easily noticeable on dark paint particularly if the clearcoat is soft.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It can mar even if used correctly, its easily noticeable on dark paint particularly if the clearcoat is soft.
Well it didn't mar on mine . And seeing that the OP has exactly the same colour as me , if he uses it correctly he should be fine :tongueout:

Mine was covered in tar and other contaminants , especially around the bottom of the doors , sills , rear wheel arches , the clay mitt removed all of it effortlessly and it was like glass when finished, better than when it was new . If you're a lazy f**cker , same as me , try these 2 products I mentioned . It'll save you lots of time and work and the results will be amazing . This is all my personal opinion of course , from my own experience .
Sorry mate, but this simply isn't possible. The clay mitts are not the same as wash mitt in design nor application (i.e. do not have long fibres that remove the particles away from the surface of the mitt to prevent them being dragged across the paint), so there is no chance you de-tared with a mitt and didn't cause marring. It's pretty simple physics and it's why every detailer suggests using tar removal products that require the least amount of contact with the paint, rather than clay to rub it around the surface.

I thought tar and iron X needed to be applied to a dry car?.....should I wash > dry > X> wash and dry again....??
I'll be working for hours...(Lazy f**k I am....)
TarX products work more quickly if they are not diluted (i.e. water already over the area), so yes, if you can open hose the car to near as damn it dry, that's ideal. IronX works perfectly well on a wet car, however, so no need here.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sorry mate, but this simply isn't possible. The clay mitts are not the same as wash mitt in design nor application (i.e. do not have long fibres that remove the particles away from the surface of the mitt to prevent them being dragged across the paint), so there is no chance you de-tared with a mitt and didn't cause marring. It's pretty simple physics and it's why every detailer suggests using tar removal products that require the least amount of contact with the paint, rather than clay to rub it around the surface.

I must be talking out of my ring piece then or it's just a figment of my imagination . I can only go off my experience . The car IS tar free , free of any other contaminants too, just as it would be if I'd used a clay bar . And it most definitely hasn't suffered any marring. Where did I even mention a wash mitt ? Do you really think these companies produce a product and release it into the market without rigorous testing ? If you mar your car using a clay mitt , then you've done it wrong in my opinion . The years go by on CS , but it never changes . People are always quick to jump down somebodys throat should they have an opinion that differs slightly to their own . I'm sorry I'm not an expert or cleaning guru like some on here :sleeping:

I must be talking out of my ring piece then or it's just a figment of my imagination .
Based on previous posts, I'd go with this answer. But since you took the time to type out War and Peace...
I can only go off my experience . The car IS tar free , free of any other contaminants too, just as it would be if I'd used a clay bar .
Yes. Have I denied they do not remove contamination?
And it most definitely hasn't suffered any marring.
Because you checked it with a SunGun or alternative afterwards?
Where did I even mention a wash mitt ?
Point missed, further showing your lack of understanding of the products which you proclaim to be an expert in, dishing out advice in the way that you do.
Do you really think these companies produce a product and release it into the market without rigorous testing ?
Shock horror - company releases product that is bad. Like "Cleans Wheels" aka brick acid. Or the Water blade, which causes scratches. Or... enough? OK.
If you mar your car using a clay mitt , then you've done it wrong in my opinion .
If you've not checked with appropriate lighting, you can't make that statement. In my opinion.
The years go by on CS , but it never changes . People are always quick to jump down somebodys throat should they have an opinion that differs slightly to their own . I'm sorry I'm not an expert or cleaning guru like some on here :sleeping:
Beg pardon chap, I've clearly been put in my place. Congratulations on redefining physics!
Now where did I put that certificate...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Based on previous posts, I'd go with this answer. But since you took the time to type out War and Peace...

Yes. Have I denied they do not remove contamination?

Because you checked it with a SunGun or alternative afterwards?

Point missed, further showing your lack of understanding of the products which you proclaim to be an expert in, dishing out advice in the way that you do.

Shock horror - company releases product that is bad. Like "Cleans Wheels" aka brick acid. Or the Water blade, which causes scratches. Or... enough? OK.

If you've not checked with appropriate lighting, you can't make that statement. In my opinion.

Beg pardon chap, I've clearly been put in my place. Congratulations on redefining physics!
Now where did I put that certificate...

Looks like War n Peace part 2 to me . Like I said , I'm not an expert Chap . I'll ask you a question JD . I would like an honest answer . Have you actually used the clay mitt I posted a link to ?

And I most definitely don't claim to be an expert in anything . I can only give my honest , unbiased opinion about products I've used .

Reactions: JD
Looks like War n Peace part 2 to me . Like I said , I'm not an expert Chap . I'll ask you a question JD . I would like an honest answer . Have you actually used the clay mitt I posted a link to ?

And I most definitely don't claim to be an expert in anything . I can only give my honest , unbiased opinion about products I've used .
It certainly is (slow day)! @TheEvilGiraffe and @Rob are chuckling about my little outburst already.
Nope! Which is why I can only comment on your posted info, chap. Clay mitts are short pile. They cannot remove contaminants from their surface in the way a decent wash mitt can. Therefore, the tar particles have no where to go and thus have to be dragged across the surface. That's why it will have marred your paint. I can say this with absolute certainty.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It certainly is (slow day)! @TheEvilGiraffe and @Rob are chuckling about my little outburst already.
Nope! Which is why I can only comment on your posted info, chap. Clay mitts are short pile. They cannot remove contaminants from their surface in the way a decent wash mitt can. Therefore, the tar particles have no where to go and thus have to be dragged across the surface. That's why it will have marred your paint. I can say this with absolute certainty.

Ok , you and your chuckling experts . You have your opinion based on " physics " . I have my opinion based on fact . I'm gonna leave it at that . Because like I said previously , CS never changes as the years roll by :tonguewink:

Uh, what JD has said is fact; it's shortpile and will just drag contaminants around - it's not even hard to understand.

The likelyhood is you had hardly any tar to begin with, so there isn't much to drag around.

Also, even thinking about it logically - a standard clay bar offers way more protection from marring (over a mitt, obviously the best choice is non-contact) - once you have done an amount where you can visibly see a lot on the bar, you can just fold it over for a "new" piece, removing the contaminants from touching the paint (at least mostly).

Last edited:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Ok , you and your chuckling experts . You have your opinion based on " physics " . I have my opinion based on fact . I'm gonna leave it at that . Because like I said previously , CS never changes as the years roll by :tonguewink:

One question, was your paint completely swirl & marring free before you clayed?

I genuinely meant laughing at me. I've managed to control my little outbursts on this site for a while, so good to have a blow out every so often ;)
All based on personal experience, we do our best, different courses for different horses, etc. Long short of it is neither of us really gives a fudge what the other bashes out over their keyboard!

Uh, what JD has said is fact; it's shortpile and will just drag contaminants around - it's not even hard to understand.

The likelyhood is you had hardly any tar to begin with, so there isn't much to drag around.

Also, even thinking about it logically - a standard clay bar offers way more protection from marring (over a mitt, obviously the best choice is non-contact) - once you have done an amount where you can visibly see a lot on the bar, you can just fold it over for a "new" piece, removing the contaminants from touching the paint (at least mostly).
Alright, calm down for f***s sake, no need to get all sarky with the italics! Christ, some people just lay into other users for no reason. :rollseyes:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh hi! Busy day eh.

Billbobmcfuckshiscar, this isn't the first time you've posted poor information in this section nor is it the first time you've been proved wrong.

You clearly said you're not an expert, so if JD is then surely he would know more about detailing than you do? Fair?

See it's one basic fact even in this thread that means no one should listen to your advice on anything regarding car care......... You don't and should never use clay, a clay mitt, nor a clay cloth to remove tar.

So on the basis that you're advising people to incorrectly use a product that will damage their car, your best off giving advice elsewhere on the forum.

BB3.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Just caught up with this.
I have my opinion based on fact .
Perceived fact.
If you haven't analysed the paint correctly, how can you accurately perceive its condition? You seem to have skirted over the comments about sun guns etc. Sometimes marring/swirling/clouding is only apparent in certain lights, usually evening sun.

Perhaps if lots of people are telling you that you're wrong you should maybe take a step back and see if there is something you could learn?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I wanted to reply to this thread the other day but christ how it has escalated is funny

To the original post. Lots of things like all purpose cleaners, heavy pre washes, tar and fallout removers will not completely remove a performing wax or sealant. But will degrade it and maybe kill off a tired or failing product.

I've even seen some products hold out a little against claying but not many. Typically an abrasive compound or pre wax cleanser is a recommend option to ensure removal.

Onto clay mitts. Lay can leave some horrendous marring! I used a fine mitt on the same car a couple of times. Once with minimal marring the other with good awful damage I stopped using it after half a panel. I have always seen a mitt leave something behind. And for anyone to say the inflict no damage to any paint if used correctly is wrong. They simply haven't looked hard enough or aren't entirely sure what they are looking for.

It doesn't take much looking through the studio threads of professional details on detailing world before you spot a professional using a clay mitt and inflicting a form of marring.

They have their place, but should always be used with the expectation you're likely to need to do some form of polishing afterwards

If a car is well maintained, waxed or sealed regularly, when it's re protected a good going over with a tar and iron removal product can almost negate the need for claying. I last clayed my car in April 2014. Everytime I re wax I've used a tar remover and sometimes an iron remover as well. As a test I washed and went straight to clay at the start of June this year. Little to no bonded contaminants being picked up by the clay bar. Used a tar remover over the panel and nothing was picked up when following with clay.

Best methods a preventative