ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Wheel Sealant?

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Hi guys,

Had a set of wheels refurbished last week, and had them sealed with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. Quite expensive stuff, designed to last for at least a year.

Problem is, when they fitted them, they didn't leave enough time for the sealant to cure before putting them on the car. Hence getting oily hands on the wheels. Not such a big deal, but now the sealant has cured, it has trapped in all the crap underneath.

Now it does come off, but using my Iron X wheel cleaner and also trying Wonder Wheels, it removes normal break dust etc but isn't doing anything to the oil marks that are almost ingrained it seems.

Using a cloth and a bit of elbow grease, the marks do eventually come off, I guess because I am rubbing away the sealant.

Just wanted to ask what people can recommend if anything to make my life easier? It would take a lot of work to round each wheel to get the sealant off. Is there any products which I could leave to soak and it would break down or remove the sealant? I need to remove it, to clean the wheels, and then seal them again myself once all clean.

Obviously I could take them back, but quite frankly trust myself to do a much better job than they would.

Cheers

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Provided it's been applied quite recently, go out it with a proper panel wipe and MF and plenty of effort! Other option would be physical abrasion with a polishing compound if well and truy cured.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Yeah was put on on Friday. As I say, with a microfibre cloth and some elbow grease it does eventually come off. Just going to be a fair amount of work. Just wondered if there was something that would make it easier, but perhaps not.