ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced Starter Motor - spinning no engine crank

Hi All,

Finally replaced the starter motor in my PH1 172 (with much swearing and awkward positions) after months of being in the garage with the old failed one.

Now it’s all in i had my fingers crossed or ready to give up however now when i turn the key the starter motor spins but the engine doesn’t even attempt to crank?

Can’t think what i could have missed?

Main power connection is on
Spade Connector is on (makes me think these two are fine if it’s getting the signal?)
Battery is fully charged

Really hoping i don’t have to take it all off again!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That’s what i get each time, it’s like it’s spinning but not engaging the flywheel at all
Sounds like the mechanism that engages the starter motor to the fly wheel could be stuck, i'd try smacking it hard with a long pole and hammer to see if you can free it.

If it's goosed i've got a good starter motor here if required.

Sounds like the mechanism that engages the starter motor to the fly wheel could be stuck, i'd try smacking it hard with a long pole and hammer to see if you can free it.

If it's goosed i've got a good starter motor here if required.

Thanks for the offer mate, not sure why i didn't come here first - MOT is due on my other car so a random thought last night was to get the Clio back running, ended up getting one from ECP (which doesnt seem the best idea so far!)

Took the new starter off again and tested it off the car, seems to work fine although me banging it taking it out could have sorted that but i didn't want to give it a whack on the car in case i damaged the casing and couldn't take it back to swap.

While i was at it i tested the old one, also seems to work! When it was on the car there was literally no signs of life from the starter although previously last year there were times i would come to star the car up and it would do the same thing then i could come back a couple of days later and it would start instantly so maybe intermittant.

The flywheel does look do have some markings (behind all the rust) where potentially it might have tried to engage from the new one weirdly, hopefuly i can get it sorted!

ECP are getting a new one in tomorrow, i'll be sure to test it before it goes anywhere near the car seen as

its a tw*t of a job to do even with small hands.

IMG_8879.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Check your engine earths too, and gearbox. Can cause all kinds of starter issues

I did originally think it could be earth related before i (hopefully) narrowed it down to the starter. My fingers are crossed that the replacement starter tomorrow sorts it all out!

Bridged some places with jump leads but didn’t seem to make any difference, actually checked over the gear box one today and it looks in pretty good condition i think it’s been replaced in the past at some point.

Just an update on this,

Swapped the stater at ECP earlier today - I did ask the guy if it was a refurb as the casing didn't look as a new one should however all the parts looked fresh. He said he reckons it was a return and swapped it over for another one. Instantly i could see the difference, the box had a security type seal on it and looked brand new. Tested before going near the car and all seemed to work as expected.

Put on the car and it turned over first time :)

After a few hours first time round getting to grips where everything is it's not actually too bad to swap over with just the battery and air box out (minus the pain of the heat shield!)