ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement headlamp bulbs

A bit of a late reply for magnet, but this may be of use to anybody with a twin headlamp Clio II. Ive got 172 (mk 1) and have been very disappointed with dipped beam.

After looking back through the posts on this site I decided to give the BlueVision bulbs from Philips a go. Ordered these from Powerbulbs, but when I fitted them I found them very disappointing - they threw out even less light than the standard fit Sylvania bulbs. The blue vision sidelight bulbs that came with them were great though

Back onto the powerbulbs site again - and this time I ordered the Philips premium bulbs which I have now fitted.

The output from these is far superior to the standard fit and the blue vision bulbs and so I would recommend these for anybody concerned about improved night vision.

If you really must have some blue bulbs though, Ive got pair of Philips Blue Vision 9005 bulbs going cheap ;)

Paul.

Will all these brighter bulbs around has anyone else noticed they are being dazzled by the oncomming traffic? More than usual I mean. Usually you look away and look at the side or the road or something. But some of these lights ( I assume they are dipped, but you cant always be sure with some of the t**sers on the roads) you get spots on your eyes, this is with looking at the side of the road. The lights just seem too bright. Is there legal brightness? ie can it be illegal to have your lights to bright. I would assume it would be. But you never know.

Paul

There is a limit.. cant remember what it is. I know it says on some of the rally lights that its for "off-road" use only.

Daz.

190 BHP Willy 2

I have to hold my hands up and say ive got Lucas blue vision 100/60w bulbs in my car designed for road/rally use only.

They are the b****cks!!! But so they should be at £17.50 a bulb

Scott

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I used to get dazzelled by everyone, now I got my Clio mk2 I dazzle everyone else with Xenon Power :D

me driving along :) ... other persons face as i go past :eek:

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

I can highly reconmend the PIAA range.

I fitted a set of PIAA EWC 1W. CONVERT UP TO 100/110W. They are a lovely brilliant white light. The vison is excellent, but some how dont seem to dazzel other drivers. My vision on the road is now much better, escpecially on those small country lanes.

Quote: Originally posted by small_pif on 12 December 2002

A bit of a late reply for magnet, but this may be of use to anybody with a twin headlamp Clio II. Ive got 172 (mk 1) and have been very disappointed with dipped beam.

After looking back through the posts on this site I decided to give the BlueVision bulbs from Philips a go. Ordered these from Powerbulbs, but when I fitted them I found them very disappointing - they threw out even less light than the standard fit Sylvania bulbs. The blue vision sidelight bulbs that came with them were great though

Back onto the powerbulbs site again - and this time I ordered the Philips premium bulbs which I have now fitted.

The output from these is far superior to the standard fit and the blue vision bulbs and so I would recommend these for anybody concerned about improved night vision.

If you really must have some blue bulbs though, Ive got pair of Philips Blue Vision 9005 bulbs going cheap ;)

Paul.
Hi Paul,

Which models are you referring to above ?? Ive just had a main beam headlight go on my Mk1 172, so was thinking of ordering from them... Mainly interested in the Philips Premium ones you have fitted to the car now. Are they the Philips Premium 9005s as below....

http://www.powerbulbs.net/products/product.php?prodid=pp&type=9005http://www.powerbulbs.net/products/product.php?prodid=pp&type=9005

Mark,

Yep, those are the ones. I believe another designation for the 9005 bulb is B3 or something similar - but rest assured that they are the correct fitment for the dipped beam of your car. They are much better than the original equipment and are legal 60W versions (as opposed to those fitted by others in this thread:eek:).

I would have liked VisionPlus ones (which claim 50% brighter) but they dont make them in the 9005s, although you can get these for the main beam if you want.

Paul.

so those 100watt bulbs dont overload or burn out the existing lighting loom then? ive heard you need heavy duty wiring and that sorta thing to runs these

jimbo

Mark,

Just reread your thread and noticed that you were referring to the main beam not the dipped. In this case the bulb is a more standard fit - I believe H7 bulb (but youd best check) - which you can get as a Philips Visionplus. This would be the one to go for.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Just to make sure we are referring to the same thing... I am referring to the normal beam when driving, not the mental pull back on the stick when there is nothing around one. The one that has gone is the one you would use on, say, the motorway at night with other cars around...

Are we talking about the same thing ?? I think you read what I meant correctly the first time!

Mark,

Yeah, what you call normal is the dipped beam which takes 9005 bulbs - for which the premium bulbs from Philips are the best bet.

Paul.