ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement Speakers

1999 Clio Alize
I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my mk2ph1 clio.

First of all, what size are the door speakers?

Is is worth amping replacement speakers up?

Is it worth replacing the tweeters too?

Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonable speakers?

I have been looking at the JBL GTO628 speakers because they seem to have really good sound quality, but it looks like they're too big for the doors.

Iceberg 172
5.25" or 13cm.

So yes the GTO628's are 6.5" so would be too big to fit directly into your door cards.

You'd need these... http://jblcaraudio.co.uk/gto528-13cm-speakers

They're co-axial speakers so they're 2 way... tweeter is in the middle of the speaker so you'd have to disconnect your std tweeters.

Best option (sticking with JBL) is to get components... ie... http://jblcaraudio.co.uk/gto508c-2-way-13cm-components

Then you'd mount the speaker / woofer in the door and the tweeter in the dash with the crossover box behind the door card somewhere.

What headunit do you have?

Depending on this would depend on whether you'd 'need' to amp them... yes they'd sound better a lot better with a nice amp but it bumps the cost up considerably and if you have a decent headunit you may be very happy with them running off of that.

My advice would be to do a bit at a time... so fit the speakers, then if you want a bit more performance get an amp.

1999 Clio Alize
is it worth sepnding a lot of money to get a 'decent' amp, or are the cheap ones just as good?

Also, I was thinking of putting a sub and some 6x9s in the boot, would I need a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp to power them?

1999 Clio Alize
Another thing, with the components set, how would you go about fitting them, is is the two speaker wires go into the crossover, then the four outputs to the two speakers? or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Iceberg 172
Right, I'm on my iPhone so sorry if I miss something!

You're spot on with the components... Speaker cables into the cross over and then 2 wires for the main speaker and 2 wires for the tweeter.

If your having a sub I'd ditch the 6x9s personally. Go for another set of speakers in the rear door cards. But saying that, some people swear by 6x9s.

For 4 speakers and a sub I'd go for 1x 4 channel amp and 1x monoblock amp.

I'd steer clear of anything cheap when it comes to ICE. If it's claiming 100000 watts max and it's not £1000 then it's not! I'd try to keep the same make. The JBL amps aren't bad.

They do some 6 channel amps and you can bridge 2 channels... So you end up with 5 (4 for speakers and 1 for sub). If you're wanting a loud system with good quality then go for it. It's not going to be some SPL or SQ champion but it'll be ok!

Hope that helps!

1999 Clio Alize
thanks mate. I've been offered one of these FLI 10" subs with an amp built in second hand for next to nothing, so i was thinking 4 channel amp for the car speakers, and the sub amp seperate, but how would i connect 2 amps up to a stereo with one RCA?

1999 Clio Alize
EDIT:
just seen the JBL GT5-A604E or the JBL GTO-504e 4 channel 320/280W amps, which both say they have a "full range preamp outputs are provided facilitating multiple amplifier hookups without the need for high-loss Y-adapters or signal splitters".

If I am looking to power four car speakers and an active sub would this be a good way of doing it?

And if the door speakers together are around 300W RMS, are 280/320W amps going to be about right?

Iceberg 172
Don't look at max watts... Look at RMS.

You will be able to run an amp off an amp in most cases... It's not the best way of doing it though.

Megane 265 Cup
I am lookin' to fit some new speakers too, are the speakers in the front and back the same size? If not can someone please tell me what sizes they are?

Thanks

1999 Clio Alize
So is a 4 channel 280W/300W amp going to be about right for 300W RMS (ish) worth of speakers or not?

1999 Clio Alize
thanks for your help buddy. I appreciate the whole pack suggeston but I already have some decent 6x9s and a wiring kit.

Iceberg 172
Yeah, it'll sound fine. 55wrms is fine mate... it's the amps / speakers out there by Juice or theloudest.com claiming 3000w and the amp is the size of a fag packet... they're the ones you want to avoid.

Brands like JBL make decent stuff to the average punter who wants a nice sounding system with not a huge budget. It's honest stuff though. My mate had a JBL 4 channel amp and powered 2 components up front and an Alpine R10 off it... it sounded bloody good in a ford Ka! lol.

I had a 200w blaupunkt amp when I had my first car powering infinity components in the front and an inifity sub in the boot... that sounded good!

It just depends on your expectations! I went from an Infinity Basslink sub (bass tube thing, 3 10" subs, 2 passive, 1 active) to a 12" Orion HCCA sub powered by a 5000w Orion amp... so when you then get back in the single 10" sub car it sounds poo! lol.

1999 Clio Alize
I have now installed the sub, and its sounding pretty good already, cant wait to get the amp and speakers on order!

clio 1.6 16v
Yeah, it'll sound fine. 55wrms is fine mate... it's the amps / speakers out there by Juice or theloudest.com claiming 3000w and the amp is the size of a fag packet... they're the ones you want to avoid.

Brands like JBL make decent stuff to the average punter who wants a nice sounding system with not a huge budget. It's honest stuff though. My mate had a JBL 4 channel amp and powered 2 components up front and an Alpine R10 off it... it sounded bloody good in a ford Ka! lol.

I had a 200w blaupunkt amp when I had my first car powering infinity components in the front and an inifity sub in the boot... that sounded good!

It just depends on your expectations! I went from an Infinity Basslink sub (bass tube thing, 3 10" subs, 2 passive, 1 active) to a 12" Orion HCCA sub powered by a 5000w Orion amp... so when you then get back in the single 10" sub car it sounds poo! lol.

jealous of your set up!!! been wanting a orion hcca for years its just a s**t load of money! give me a shout if you ever sell it! :D

Iceberg 172
I don't have it anymore! Well, I still own it but it's in my mate Beemer... Big bass isn't really my thing plus it wouldn't fit in my TT!

Awesome sub though... When it drops it actually hurt your stomach!

Megane RS 250
I've fitted a Coral kit, 165mm woofer (cut the plastic, used wood custom made spacers and sticked some soundproofing to the metal of the door) and tweeters in the dashboard, the crossover have been fitted behing the dash.
16x9 on the parcel shelf and no rear speaker.

The car came with a panasonic 50x4 unit with aux for the ipod.

I'm pretty pleased with the result, even with my loud exhaust and open windows I can listen to music with decent result keeping it at 25-30 with 40 as max volume.
Bass are good, not as good as in the nissan with the bose system with the subwoofer but it's enough.